Need advice before sending my CV to my University

In summary: I don't know. I don't think it would be appropriate to mention that you had to take extra classes to catch up, or that you had to struggle with academics while your classmates were having fun. It might make you seem unprofessional or like you don't care about your education.
victorhugo
A professor said:
"Congratulations is in order then as this is no mean feat. If you email me your CV I will pass it around to the other academics."
So I want to make sure that it is good to help me get internships and experience in the labs.

Please, could you have a quick look and tell me what needs to be changed? Thank you!

https://pt.scribd.com/document/331598146/Cv-for-u-Ow-Professor
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/COLOR]

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your level of education? Not being familiar with Your background, it looks like you are a senior in high school trying to get a summer research internship at some college.

Your career goal seems a bit vague as you don't mention something specific.

When you write a resume for a job, you'd focus it on the job you are applying for telling the company what they want to hear and why you're perfect for the job so they can't reject you easily.

So I'd find research positions, get the details and write them into your resume truthfully that would make it stand out to the interviewers. Basically you would write a custom resume for each research position.

If instead you write a general one then you must clearly show your skills and experience. The interviewers will be looking for certain types of candidates with specific skills so if you can find that out and custom it to what they are looking for then you will have a better chance.

jedishrfu said:
What is your level of education? Not being familiar with Your background, it looks like you are a senior in high school trying to get a summer research internship at some college.

Your career goal seems a bit vague as you don't mention something specific.

When you write a resume for a job, you'd focus it on the job you are applying for telling the company what they want to hear and why you're perfect for the job so they can't reject you easily.

So I'd find research positions, get the details and write them into your resume truthfully that would make it stand out to the interviewers. Basically you would write a custom resume for each research position.

If instead you write a general one then you must clearly show your skills and experience. The interviewers will be looking for certain types of candidates with specific skills so if you can find that out and custom it to what they are looking for then you will have a better chance.

I finished high school a few weeks ago. I don't know exactly what it is that I want yet but I believe if I can get involved in the workplace I will be able to find what it is that I excel at and like to do.
Also, I have another question:
Would it be appropriate to put in achievements in 'High school' that I was always at few marks behind the first in physics (i came 2nd) and mention that he gets tutoring for physics since year 10? (his parents pay about 1.25k every term so 5k every year just for physics tutoring, for 3 years)
I guess it wouldn't be right to put down that he also takes the mathematics class with calculus and physics involved, whereas i chose to do general mathematics that focuses more on problem solving rather than "formula plugging"
What about mentioning that I only started chemistry in the last term of year 11 and managed to come 3rd in the class for the next 2 terms and 2nd in the 3rd term after that?
I already decided to put down I've been 1st in my maths class for the entire HSC course.

I lack common sense in these things so I have no idea what is appropriate but I'm trying my best to keep it professional :)

oh, and all but 2 of my achievements happen before term 3 where my mother suffered serious issues and needed surgery, then I got my own surgery. This distracted me from my studies a lot and was a lot of stress to be able to learn effectively. This led me to getting poor results. Would it be appropriate to put this down?

victorhugo said:
Would it be appropriate to put in achievements in 'High school' that I was always at few marks behind the first in physics (i came 2nd) and mention that he gets tutoring for physics since year 10? (his parents pay about 1.25k every term so 5k every year just for physics tutoring, for 3 years)
I guess it wouldn't be right to put down that he also takes the mathematics class with calculus and physics involved, whereas i chose to do general mathematics that focuses more on problem solving rather than "formula plugging"
What about mentioning that I only started chemistry in the last term of year 11 and managed to come 3rd in the class for the next 2 terms and 2nd in the 3rd term after that?
I already decided to put down I've been 1st in my maths class for the entire HSC course.

I lack common sense in these things so I have no idea what is appropriate but I'm trying my best to keep it professional :)

oh, and all but 2 of my achievements happen before term 3 where my mother suffered serious issues and needed surgery, then I got my own surgery. This distracted me from my studies a lot and was a lot of stress to be able to learn effectively. This led me to getting poor results. Would it be appropriate to put this down?

In a CV, it is appropriate to mention your achievements. It is absolutely not appropriate to mention the fact that the other student beat you because he was tutored. It makes you look extremely unprofessional.

It is ok say that you were first in general mathematics, second in physics, and third/second in chemistry. That is achievement enough.

e.bar.goum said:
In a CV, it is appropriate to mention your achievements. It is absolutely not appropriate to mention the fact that the other student beat you because he was tutored. It makes you look extremely unprofessional.

It is ok say that you were first in general mathematics, second in physics, and third/second in chemistry. That is achievement enough.

Okay, thanks! I will definitely take that out.
I want to justify that I only came 1st/2nd in everything during my half-yearlies though.
What happened is that my mother had serious issues that were disturbing her mentally and this was causing great stress to me and disrupting my studies. When she went overseas for surgery, I lived by myself during half-yearlies so I was able to focus a lot more. After this, she came back and I had to take care of her after having to do my own surgery and so again I fell in my studies (although I still did 'good')
Of course, I wouldn't write this but I want to justify it professionally. Any advice?

Your objective is inefficient and unclear. Your first sentence although still inefficient tells what you want to say. Basically you WANT to develop within what you are interested in - laboratory research experience. The improvement would be if you can focus this objective more.

Your listed summary of skills is not. Skills are, what things you know how to do. Be specific. What products do you know how to use? What equipment did you build? What equipment did you repair? What processes do you know how to find, control, adjust, or develop? You almost list something regarding your mathematics, but you should narrow this and make a very brief and precise description. Did you learn to solve a particular type of problem using a particular form of construct?

Your section for Experience is impressive. This section may work well for you.

Your Interests section is pointless. Think about improving it or just not listing it. If you keep the section, get rid of the flashy nonsense and be specific.

You want to "sell yourself" not "sell yourself short" and have the interviewer interested in the other student.

Yes, put down your achievements they are hard won and show that you work hard for things.

You plan to apply to different internships and companies. Try to find out more about these jobs and write a CV focused for each one. At the very least focus your goal. Keep track of the cv you sent to the company so that should they call you in for an interview you know what you sent them and thus know where their questions are coming from. The CV is like a detailed calling card with information on how to contact you, what your skills are and what you can do for that company.

If I apply for a computer job I emphasize that I know programming and say what languages and what projects you did. If I know they're looking for Java or Python I mention it in my resume. If I apply to another company and they are interested in Physics people I emphasize that. So each resume is focused on the company. It must be truthful but focus so they will take an interest in you.

So many students think the CV is like a common application for collleger where I fill out one and send it to several schools. However its not, you must focus it and customize it to the job you are applying for. You can either learn this lesson now or wait a few years and learn it when you apply for real jobs.

Likes victorhugo
Okay, thanks for your all your advice. I just don't know what to write for interests now.

I changed it to
"My interests have always lied within the STEM field. Ranging from nature and animals to computers and technology. As a child, I used to write a blog on biology. I enjoyed learning HTML and I remember most of it to this day. Again in year 11, I started a science blog to solidify my knowledge. My aim was to explain things simply and design simple experiments to perform at home. Unfortunately, I deleted it but made a new (and much simpler) one in June 2016. The url is “ [deleted name].blogspot.com.au ”
I am also fascinated by astronomy. I own a telescope and take it to remote areas with friends to enjoy the night sky. I end up taking the role of the teacher, which I do enjoy."

Is this good?

victorhugo said:
Okay, thanks for your all your advice. I just don't know what to write for interests now.

I changed it to
"My interests have always lied within the STEM field. Ranging from nature and animals to computers and technology. As a child, I used to write a blog on biology. I enjoyed learning HTML and I remember most of it to this day. Again in year 11, I started a science blog to solidify my knowledge. My aim was to explain things simply and design simple experiments to perform at home. Unfortunately, I deleted it but made a new (and much simpler) one in June 2016. The url is “ [deleted name].blogspot.com.au ”
I am also fascinated by astronomy. I own a telescope and take it to remote areas with friends to enjoy the night sky. I end up taking the role of the teacher, which I do enjoy."

Is this good?

Hang on, is this a CV? This would be appropriate for a cover letter, but a CV (especially in the Australian context - these things are regional) should be basically a 2 page document with bullet point lists with headings such as (but not limited to) "Education, employment, work experience, awards and prizes, skills, interests" (for a student just finished high school).

ETA: Just found my CV from year 12. I had "Education, employment, work experience, skills, personal qualities, achievements, extracurricular activities, hobbies, references". It doesn't have any narrative. And it fit on 1 pg. As you get older, you take off hobbies, extracurricular activities and personal qualities.

ETA: Just found my CV from year 12. I had "Education, employment, work experience, skills, personal qualities, achievements, extracurricular activities, hobbies, references". It doesn't have any narrative. And it fit on 1 pg. As you get older, you take off hobbies, extracurricular activities and personal qualities.

You also gain weight, lose teeth and get bald too...

Likes Vanadium 50 and e.bar.goum
jedishrfu said:
and get bald too...
Unless you're a woman (usually)... :oldwink:

1. How should I format my CV for my university application?

Your CV should be concise and easy to read, with clear headings and bullet points. Make sure to include relevant information such as your education, work experience, skills, and any relevant projects or research you have completed. It's also important to customize your CV to align with the specific requirements and expectations of the university you are applying to.

2. What should I include in my CV for a university application?

In addition to your educational background and work experience, you should also include any relevant awards, publications, or extracurricular activities that demonstrate your skills and achievements. It's also helpful to include any research or projects you have completed that are related to your field of study.

3. Should I include a cover letter with my CV for my university application?

It is always a good idea to include a cover letter with your CV when applying to a university. This allows you to introduce yourself and explain why you are interested in the program and how your skills and experience make you a strong candidate. It also gives you the opportunity to address any gaps or inconsistencies in your CV.

4. How can I make my CV stand out to the university admissions committee?

To make your CV stand out, be sure to highlight your unique skills, experiences, and achievements that are relevant to the university and the program you are applying to. You can also consider adding a personal statement that showcases your passion and motivation for your chosen field of study.

5. Is it necessary to include references in my CV for a university application?

In most cases, it is not necessary to include references in your CV for a university application. However, if the university specifically requests them or if you have relevant references that can speak to your skills and qualifications, you can include them in a separate document or upon request from the admissions committee.