1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need animation/video to convey rotational speeds

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    Hello Everyone,

I need an animation or video or something that will convey different speeds of different sized circles. Ideally, I would like some type of tire setup that shows a smaller circle driven at the same speed rotating more quickly than a larger circle. I am using this for an engineering presentation for an internship I am working at. This will help me to convey the physics without the math to the public in a timely manner.

IE: If I have two circles, one being 10 meters in diameter and the other being 1 meter in diameter. I would like to show that for these circles to travel 10 meters in the same amount of time, the smaller circle would have to spin faster.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

Have you thought about using a video of any vehicle with dissimilar wheel arrangement? A dragster car, a penny-farthing bicycle, some types of tractors or locomotives spring to mind. The penny-farthing might be best since it's easier to see the angular velocity of each wheel due to the spokes and low speeds.
    Bicycle gears might work too, but that'd require some additional explanation..

Youtube has plenty of videos on each of the subjects mentioned.

4. Apr 22, 2015 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Google "Gear train" video returned almost 200k hits, ditto for 'compound gear train video'

5. Apr 23, 2015 #4
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, I am looking for a gif that I can use in a PowerPoint (video sizes make the file larger than I would like). I found what I needed though so thank you for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook