1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need avice picking undergrad school.

1. Nov 24, 2006 #1
    I'm now in te process of looking at schools in which I should apply to after community college, and am having a hard time deteminign what schools are the best for me to apply to. I still have no idea what I want to do as a career, but my high school physics class interested me more than any class I had ever taken and I decided I wanted to major in physics. I may go on to engeneering or some other profffesion, but my only concern right now is finding the right school to complete my last two years towards my Bacholers. Being that I entered community college to save money, I also need to find a undergraduate school that is resonably priced. I would like to find a good college in Pennsylvania that I could get into, but have been contemplating mayube Arizona for personal reasons... in reality I would just like a list of the best physics undregraduate schools. I do not have a spectacular GPA, 3.3-3.5 mor that likely and I have participated in absolutly no extra curricular activities, so I know I cannot get into any of the outstanding schools. I feel this may hurt me dearly.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2006 #2
    Does anybody have a link to a list of schools based on ranking. I'm not looking to get into MIT but dont want to go to the wrong school for this.
  4. Nov 25, 2006 #3
    I don't think your undergrad school matters anywhere near as much as your graduate school (someone else can confirm/deny this). Unless you go to an absolutely horrible school you should be getting a decent education anywhere you go. You can check out each school's website for their course listings and see how complete they are for yourself.

This thread has several rankings for various programs - but they're all for graduate programs.

As for schools in Pennsylvania, what about Penn State or the University of Pennsylvania? I doubt either one will have a bad program for physics.
  5. Nov 25, 2006 #4
    The University of Arizona is pretty good. IF you were a resident, it would be that much better (tuition wise), but otherwise it's still not that bad.
  6. Nov 25, 2006 #5
    Thanks guys. I am more looking toward schools in PA, but was considering others. I'm not so sure I'll be looking for more than a bacholers, so I figured the school would be important. Thanks for the list.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?