Need book suggestion: Introduction to Hilbert Spaces

Our last course on Mathematical Physics covers topology, topological spaces, metric spaces; differential forms; introduction to group theory including finite and continuous groups, group representations, and Lie groups.

The textbook to be used is Math methods by Arfken and Intro to Hilbert Spaces by Berberian .

However I am looking for alternatives to Berberian. Do you know some good intro books to Hilbert Spaces?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Debnath and Mikusinski ? The majority of functional analysis books have chapters on Hilbert spaces, anyways, it all depends on how deep into the serious things you wish to go.

mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I remember Berberian's book in general, and that introductory book on Hilbert space in particular, as about as clear and readable as a math book can be. So I am curious as to what you are looking for that Berberian does not provide? More topics?

@mathwonk: The (silly) reason is that I wasn't able to obtain a copy of the book. :shy:

Debnath and Mikusinski ? The majority of functional analysis books have chapters on Hilbert spaces, anyways, it all depends on how deep into the serious things you wish to go.
I can't speak on the book personally, but I know Dr. Mikusinski (I just had tea with him this afternoon, in fact) and if he writes as well as he teaches, his book is probably excellent.