Need book suggestion: Introduction to Hilbert Spaces

In summary, the conversation discussed the content covered in a course on Mathematical Physics which includes topology, topological spaces, metric spaces, differential forms, and an introduction to group theory. The recommended textbooks for the course are Math methods by Arfken and Intro to Hilbert Spaces by Berberian. However, the person is looking for alternative books on Hilbert Spaces due to not being able to obtain a copy of the recommended book. Some suggestions are Debnath and Mikusinski's book, which may have clearer explanations, and David Luenberger's book, which focuses on applications to optimization problems.
RichardParker
Our last course on Mathematical Physics covers topology, topological spaces, metric spaces; differential forms; introduction to group theory including finite and continuous groups, group representations, and Lie groups.

The textbook to be used is Math methods by Arfken and Intro to Hilbert Spaces by Berberian .

However I am looking for alternatives to Berberian. Do you know some good intro books to Hilbert Spaces?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Debnath and Mikusinski ? The majority of functional analysis books have chapters on Hilbert spaces, anyways, it all depends on how deep into the serious things you wish to go.

I remember Berberian's book in general, and that introductory book on Hilbert space in particular, as about as clear and readable as a math book can be. So I am curious as to what you are looking for that Berberian does not provide? More topics?

@mathwonk: The (silly) reason is that I wasn't able to obtain a copy of the book. :shy:

dextercioby said:
Debnath and Mikusinski ? The majority of functional analysis books have chapters on Hilbert spaces, anyways, it all depends on how deep into the serious things you wish to go.

I can't speak on the book personally, but I know Dr. Mikusinski (I just had tea with him this afternoon, in fact) and if he writes as well as he teaches, his book is probably excellent.

1. What is a Hilbert space?

A Hilbert space is a mathematical concept that represents an infinite-dimensional vector space. It is a space of functions, in which the inner product between any two functions is defined, allowing for the concept of length and angle to be applied. Hilbert spaces are commonly used in functional analysis and quantum mechanics.

2. Why is an introduction to Hilbert spaces important?

Hilbert spaces are fundamental to many areas of mathematics and science, including physics, engineering, and signal processing. They provide a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems related to infinite-dimensional spaces, making them an essential topic for any student studying these fields.

3. What are some applications of Hilbert spaces?

Hilbert spaces have a wide range of applications in various fields of mathematics and science. They are used to study and solve problems in differential equations, Fourier analysis, quantum mechanics, and functional analysis. They are also used in areas such as image and signal processing, statistics, and machine learning.

4. What background knowledge is needed for an introduction to Hilbert spaces?

A basic understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and real analysis is necessary for studying Hilbert spaces. Familiarity with vector spaces, inner products, and convergence of sequences and series is also helpful. Some knowledge of complex analysis and functional analysis may also be useful.

5. Can you recommend any books for an introduction to Hilbert spaces?

Some popular books on Hilbert spaces include "Introduction to Hilbert Spaces with Applications" by Lokenath Debnath and Piotr Mikusinski, "A Course in Functional Analysis" by John B. Conway, and "Hilbert Spaces, Wavelets, Generalised Functions, and Modern Quantum Mechanics" by Willi-Hans Steeb. It is also recommended to consult with a mathematics or physics professor for additional book suggestions.