Projectile Motion of rifle bullet

In summary, the rifle is aimed horizontally at a target 44m away and the bullet hits the target 3.0 cm below the aim point. The bullet's flight time is 0.078 seconds and its speed as it left the barrel is 564.103 m/s. The equations used were Xf = Xi + Vixt + 1/2(a)(t^2), Vfx = Vix + at, and Vfx^2 = Vix^2 + 2ax(t). The angle was considered to be zero since the bullet was shot horizontally.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A rifle is aimed horizontally at a target 44m away. The bullet hits the target 3.0 cm below the aim point. a.) What was the bullet's flight time? b.) What was the bullet's speed as it left the barrel?

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi +Vixt + 1/2(a)(t^2)
Vfx = Vix + at
Vfx^2 = Vix^2 + 2ax(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried figuring this out. I know that the velocity needs to be found, and I know that the velocity then needs to broken into components. I'm just having problems without an angle given.

Physics news on Phys.org
The vertical displacement is 0.03m. You can use that to get the flight time. The bullet is shot horizontally. hence the angle is 0.

Ok, but how do you find the velocity?

aligass2004 said:
Ok, but how do you find the velocity?

Did you find the flight time?

Don't I need the velocity to find the flight time?

aligass2004 said:
Don't I need the velocity to find the flight time?

No you don't. You need the flight time to find the velocity. :wink:

What is the vertical displacement? write an equation for vertical displacement in terms of time.

Ok, you said the vertical displacement is .03m. So is the equation delta x = Vx(delta time)?

aligass2004 said:
Ok, you said the vertical displacement is .03m. So is the equation delta x = Vx(delta time)?

no. that equation won't work. it's accelerating vertically... So you need an equation for accelerated motion.

I finally figured it out. I used Yf = Yi + Vyi(t) + 1/2ay(t^2). Since the angle is zero because it's shot horizontally, the y component of velocity is zero, eliminating the middle term. So I just plugged in and got the time to be .078s. Then I used Xf = Xi + Vx(t). I found Vx to be 564.103 m/s. Thank you so much!

aligass2004 said:
I finally figured it out. I used Yf = Yi + Vyi(t) + 1/2ay(t^2). Since the angle is zero because it's shot horizontally, the y component of velocity is zero, eliminating the middle term. So I just plugged in and got the time to be .078s. Then I used Xf = Xi + Vx(t). I found Vx to be 564.103 m/s. Thank you so much!

No prob. Good job!

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, propelled by some initial force and then affected by the force of gravity as it travels through the air.

How does a rifle bullet follow a projectile motion?

A rifle bullet follows a projectile motion because it is propelled by the force of the rifle's explosion and then affected by the force of gravity as it travels through the air.

What factors affect the projectile motion of a rifle bullet?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a rifle bullet include the initial velocity of the bullet, the angle at which it is fired, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

Can the trajectory of a rifle bullet be predicted accurately?

Yes, the trajectory of a rifle bullet can be predicted accurately by using equations and principles of projectile motion, as well as taking into account the specific characteristics of the bullet and the rifle.

How can the projectile motion of a rifle bullet be used in real life?

The projectile motion of a rifle bullet can be used in real life for hunting, military operations, and recreational shooting. Understanding the trajectory and factors that affect it can help improve accuracy and safety.