Need explanation-hyperbolic system of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of characteristics for reducing a PDE system to an ODE system. It involves taking linear combinations of the equations, using a vector $\gamma$ and a left eigenvector $m$, and defining characteristic directions with eigenvalues of the matrix $A$. The conversation also mentions assumptions and concludes that the system is hyperbolic if the matrix $A$ has $n$ discrete real eigenvalues. The wiki page for "Method of Characteristics" provides more information on this method.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I have the following in my notes:

$$u_t+A(x,t,u)u_x=b(x,t,u) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$
$$u=(u_1, \dots, u_n), b=(b_1, \dots, b_n)$$
$$A=[a_{ij}], i,j = 1, \dots, n$$

We set the question if there are characteristic directions at the path of which the PDE system $(1)$ is reduced to an ODE system.

So we take linear combinations of the above equations.

We use the vector $\gamma=(\gamma_1, \dots, \gamma_n) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)$.

We take $\gamma^T(u_t+Au_x)=\gamma^Tb \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (3)$.

We want to conclude to a form of total derivative of the linear combination of $u$.

That means:(we consider that $u_j=u_j(x(t),t)$)

$$\frac{d}{dt}(\gamma_1u_1+\gamma_2u_2 +\dots+\gamma_n u_n)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}(\gamma_1u_1+\gamma_2u_2 +\dots+\gamma_n u_n)+\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(\gamma_1u_1+\gamma_2u_2 +\dots+\gamma_n u_n)$$

and we define $\frac{dx}{dt}=\lambda$

The relation above means:
$$m^T(\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}+\lambda\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}})=\gamma^Tb \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (4)$$

From the relation $(3)$ and $(4)$, we see that $\gamma=m=(\gamma_1, \dots, \gamma_n)$ and that $\gamma^TA=\lambda \gamma^T$

$\lambda:$ eigenvalue of the matrix $A$

$\gamma^T:$ left eigenvector of $A$

We define the characteristic directions:

$\frac{dx}{dt}=\lambda$, so $\gamma^T(\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{dx}{dt}
\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}})=\gamma^Tb$

$\gamma^T \frac{du}{dt}=\gamma^Tb$

(To can reduce the system to a PDE system, the $\frac{dx}{dt}=\lambda$ must exist. To be able to apply this method, the matrix $A$ should have $n$ real values.)

We conclude that to reduce the PDE system to an ODE system, the matrix $A$ should have $n$ discrete real eigenvalues.

In this case we say that the system is hyperbolic.
Could you explain me what we have done here? I got stuck right now... (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I have the following in my notes:

$$u_t+A(x,t,u)u_x=b(x,t,u) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$
$$u=(u_1, \dots, u_n), b=(b_1, \dots, b_n)$$
$$A=[a_{ij}], i,j = 1, \dots, n$$

We set the question if there are characteristic directions at the path of which the PDE system $(1)$ is reduced to an ODE system.

We want to conclude to a form of total derivative of the linear combination of $u$.

$$\frac{d}{dt}(\gamma_1u_1+\gamma_2u_2 +\dots+\gamma_n u_n)=\frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}(\gamma_1u_1+\gamma_2u_2 +\dots+\gamma_n u_n)+\frac{dx}{dt} \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(\gamma_1u_1+\gamma_2u_2 +\dots+\gamma_n u_n)$$

$$m^T(\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}+\lambda\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{x}})=\gamma^Tb \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (4)$$

From the relation $(3)$ and $(4)$, we see that $\gamma=m=(\gamma_1, \dots, \gamma_n)$ and that $\gamma^TA=\lambda \gamma^T$

$\frac{dx}{dt}=\lambda$, so $\gamma^T(\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{dx}{dt}

(To can reduce the system to a PDE system, the $\frac{dx}{dt}=\lambda$ must exist. To be able to apply this method, the matrix $A$ should have $n$ real values.)

We conclude that to reduce the PDE system to an ODE system, the matrix $A$ should have $n$ discrete real eigenvalues.

Could you explain me what we have done here? I got stuck right now... (Wondering)

What are characteristic directions at the path of which the PDE system $(1)$ is reduced to an ODE system? (Wondering)

Hey! (Blush)

mathmari said:

Can it be that it should be: "linear combination of the total derivative of $u$ with respect to $t$"?

It seems the assumption is made that (3) can be written as an ODE that is a linear combination of $\frac{du_j}{dt}$. (Wondering)

That would imply there is some vector $m$ such that:
$$m^T \frac{du}{dt} = g(t)$$
where $g(t) = \gamma^T b(t)$.

I think I'm seeing another assumption here.
That from $\gamma^T x_t(t) u_x(t) = \gamma^T A(t) u_x(t)$ we can assume that $\gamma^T x_t(t) = \gamma^T A(t)$. (Wondering)

If that holds true, we get that the scalar $x_t(t)$ is an eigenvalue of $A(t)$.

If the assumptions hold and $A(t)$ is diagonalizable, we should be able to apply a change of variables and reduce the system to something like:
$$\delta^T(v_t + D(t) v_x) = \delta^T c(t)$$
where $\delta$ is some constant vector just like $\gamma$.

Perhaps this is considered a hyperbolic form? (Wondering)
mathmari said:
What are characteristic directions at the path of which the PDE system $(1)$ is reduced to an ODE system? (Wondering)

I have just found Method_of_characteristics on wiki that seems to describe this method.

I like Serena said:
Can it be that it should be: "linear combination of the total derivative of $u$ with respect to $t$"?

In my notes, it is as I wrote it:
"We want to conclude to a form of total derivative of the linear combination of $u$."

Does it mean that we are looking for the derivative of $(\gamma_1 u_1 +\gamma_2 u_2+ \dots +\gamma_n u_n)$ ??
What does the part "a form of total derivative" mean?? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
It seems the assumption is made that (3) can be written as an ODE that is a linear combination of $\frac{du_j}{dt}$. (Wondering)

I haven't understood this part... (Doh) (Worried)
I like Serena said:
I think I'm seeing another assumption here.
That from $\gamma^T x_t(t) u_x(t) = \gamma^T A(t) u_x(t)$ we can assume that $\gamma^T x_t(t) = \gamma^T A(t)$. (Wondering)

If that holds true, we get that the scalar $x_t(t)$ is an eigenvalue of $A(t)$.

$(3): \gamma^T(u_t+Au_x)= \gamma^Tb$
$(4): m^T(u_t+\lambda u_x)=\gamma^Tb$

$\Rightarrow \gamma^T(u_t+Au_x)=m^T(u_t+\lambda u_x) \Rightarrow \gamma^T u_t+\gamma^T A u_x=m^T u_t+m^T \lambda u_x \Rightarrow \gamma^T=m^T \text{ AND } \gamma^T A= m^T \lambda \overset{\gamma^T=m^T}{\Rightarrow} \gamma^T A=\lambda \gamma^T$$\gamma^T=m^T \Rightarrow \gamma=m$

Is this correct?? (Thinking)

Does it stand that $m^T \lambda=\lambda m^T$ because $\lambda$ is a number?? (Wondering)

Also how do we conlcude that
and
??

Do we suppose that these two hold??
I like Serena said:
If the assumptions hold and $A(t)$ is diagonalizable, we should be able to apply a change of variables and reduce the system to something like:
$$\delta^T(v_t + D(t) v_x) = \delta^T c(t)$$
where $\delta$ is some constant vector just like $\gamma$.

Perhaps this is considered a hyperbolic form? (Wondering)

So that the eigenvalues exist means that the matrix has $n$ real values?? (Wondering)
And is that equivalent to that the matrix $A$ is diagonalizable??
Why?? (Sweating)

And also, why do we consider this a hyperbolic form??

Last edited by a moderator:
There is the following example in my notes:

$$\left.\begin{matrix}
\frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{t}}+a \frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{x}}=0\\
\frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{t}}+b \frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{x}}=0
\end{matrix}\right\}$$

$a,b>0$
$\displaystyle{u=u(u_1, u_2)}$

$$A=\begin{bmatrix}
0 & a\\
b & 0
\end{bmatrix}$$

$\displaystyle{u_t+Au_x=0}$

To check if it is hypebolic, we have to find the eigenvalues.
$\displaystyle{det(A-\lambda I)=\lambda^2-ab=0 \Rightarrow \lambda= \pm \sqrt{ab}}$

$\gamma=(\gamma_1, \gamma_2)$

$\displaystyle{\gamma_1(\frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{t}}+a \frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{x}})+\gamma_2(\frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{t}}+b \frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{x}})=0}$

$\Rightarrow \displaystyle{\gamma_1(\frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{b \gamma_2}{\gamma_1} \frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{x}})+\gamma_2(\frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{t}}+\frac{a \gamma_1}{\gamma_2} \frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{x}})=0}$

Since it should be in the form: $\gamma^T(u_t+\lambda u_x)=\gamma^T b$, it should be: $\displaystyle{\frac{b \gamma_2}{\gamma_1}=\frac{a \gamma_1}{\gamma_2}}$

We set $\displaystyle{\gamma_1=1}$, so $\displaystyle{\gamma_2^2=\frac{a}{b} \Rightarrow \gamma_2= \pm \sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}}$

We take $\gamma_2=\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}$:

At the case $\lambda=\sqrt{ab}$:

$\displaystyle{(\frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{t}}+\sqrt{ab} \frac{\partial{u_1}}{\partial{x}})+\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}(\frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{t}}+\sqrt{ab} \frac{\partial{u_2}}{\partial{x}})=0}$

$\displaystyle{\frac{\partial}{\partial{t}}(u_1+\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2)+\sqrt{ab} \frac{\partial}{\partial{x}}(u_1+\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2)=0}$

We set $\displaystyle{v_+=u_1+\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2}$. So we have: $\displaystyle{\frac{\partial{v_+}}{\partial{t}}+\sqrt{ab} \frac{\partial{v_+}}{\partial{x}}=0}$

The characteristic system is:
$$\frac{dt}{1}=\frac{dx}{\sqrt{ab}}=\frac{dv_+}{0}$$

$\displaystyle{v=\text{ constant }, v=u_1+\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2}$, when $\displaystyle{\frac{dx}{dt}=\sqrt{ab}}$

$\displaystyle{x=\sqrt{ab}t+c \Rightarrow c=x- \sqrt{ab}t}$

$\displaystyle{v}$ is constant when $\displaystyle{x-\sqrt{ab}t}$ is constant.

That means that $$u_1+\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2=\frac{f(x-\sqrt{ab}t)}{2}$$At the case $\lambda=-\sqrt{ab}$:

We conclude that $\displaystyle{v_-=u_1-\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2= \text{ constant }}$ when $\displaystyle{x+\sqrt{ab}t}$ is constant.

$$u_1-\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}u_2=\frac{g(x+\sqrt{ab}t)}{2}$$So $$u_1=f(x-\sqrt{ab}t)+g(x+\sqrt{ab}t)$$
$$u_2=\sqrt{\frac{b}{a}}[f(x-\sqrt{ab}t)-g(x+\sqrt{ab}t)]$$

Instead of $\gamma_2=\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}$, we could also use $\gamma_2=-\sqrt{\frac{a}{b}}$ and we would get the same results, right?? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:

I still don't understand what $m$ is... (Doh)(Worried)(Wondering)

mathmari said:
I still don't understand what $m$ is... (Doh)(Worried)(Wondering)

As far as I can tell $m$ is some vector of constants.
It would identify a linear combination.
That's all I've got. (Blush)

1. What is a hyperbolic system of equations?

A hyperbolic system of equations is a set of partial differential equations that describe the time evolution of physical systems. These equations are characterized by having two distinct types of solutions: waves and shocks.

2. What are some applications of hyperbolic systems of equations?

Hyperbolic systems of equations are used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in engineering and mathematical physics to study wave propagation, shock waves, and other nonlinear phenomena.

3. How are hyperbolic systems of equations different from other types of equations?

Hyperbolic systems of equations are distinct from other types of systems, such as elliptic and parabolic systems, because they have a characteristic speed associated with them. This means that solutions to hyperbolic equations can propagate and evolve over time, while solutions to elliptic and parabolic equations are typically stationary.

4. Are there any limitations to using hyperbolic systems of equations?

One limitation of hyperbolic systems of equations is that they can become unstable if the initial conditions or boundary conditions are not well-defined. Additionally, they may not accurately model certain physical systems that exhibit dissipative behavior or have complex boundary conditions.

5. How are hyperbolic systems of equations solved?

Hyperbolic systems of equations can be solved using a variety of methods, including finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the equations and solving them numerically to approximate the continuous solutions. Sophisticated algorithms and computational techniques are often used to efficiently solve these systems.