Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need guidance for learning electrical engineering and DDC panels

1. Jul 5, 2012 #1
    Hello, I have just joined my family business, we assemble DDC panels and power supplies. While I pay more attention to business management in general, I also am sort of fascinated by electronic devices and such. Now, I have absolutley no knowledge about science or engineering and have forgotten everything I learnt back in school.

My purpose of learning is to know all I can about how DDC panels and power supplies work; for now. And as silly as it sounds, I feel that in future I want to build a device on my own. Of course, all this implies that I know basics (as well as advanced) science. I know that I must know all concepts, for example like alternating current, resistance etc I am lucky that I can get a lot of practical training at my place itself.

So are there any books or websites that anyone can recommend to me? I would really like to start with simple things, like basic school textbooks and such. And I really want to start from the scratch, like know all basic concepts and books.

Hoping for assistance. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What's a DDC panel?

Do you have a university library or technical bookstore near you? If so, browse through this book:

"The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill: https://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Elec...617896&sr=8-1&keywords=the+art+of+electronics

IMO, it's a good basic book to get started with. It starts with the very basics of Ohm's Law, and takes you up through basic analog & digital electronics. You should look through it before you consider buying it, though, to see if it fits your expectations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook