Need help calculating maximum height

In summary, the speed of the liquid squirted upward from the syringe is 1.3 m/s and it takes 0.27 seconds for it to return to the level of the syringe. The maximum height of the liquid above the syringe can be calculated by using the equation y = 1/2*g*t^2, with the time to reach maximum height being 1.3/9.8 seconds.
farhan769

Homework Statement

A doctor, preparing to give a patient an injection, squirts a small amount of liquid straight upward from a syringe.
a) If the liquid emerges with a speed of 1.3 , how long does it take for it to return to the level of the syringe?
b) What is the maximum height of the liquid above the syringe?

Homework Equations

y=(vi)(t)-.5(g)(t^2)
d=vt
i'm really not sure what equation to use

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a i use y=(vi)(t)-.5(g)(t^2)
0=1.3t-.5(-9.8)(t^2)
t=.27s

I'm really not sure about part b, could someone help me with it
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. We'll go with 1.3 m/s (you must include units ... it matters).

The easy way is to observe that

v = a*t

so the time to max height will be given by

1.3 = 9.8*t or t = 1.3/9.8.

Since total time is time up + time down ... double that giving 1.3*2/9.8

Since y = 1/2*g*t2 then just use the time found to max height from before of 1.3/9.8

I would suggest using the equation for maximum height, which is h = (vi)^2/2g. In this case, vi=1.3 and g=9.8. Plugging these values into the equation, we get h = (1.3)^2/2(9.8) = 0.0877 meters. This is the maximum height that the liquid will reach above the syringe.

1. What is the formula for calculating maximum height?

The formula for calculating maximum height is h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Can the maximum height be calculated without knowing the initial velocity?

Yes, the maximum height can be calculated without knowing the initial velocity if the launch angle and the acceleration due to gravity are known. The formula becomes h = (g(tanθ)2)/2g, where h is the maximum height and θ is the launch angle.

3. How does air resistance affect the calculation of maximum height?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of maximum height by decreasing the initial velocity and changing the trajectory of the object. This can result in a lower maximum height than what is calculated using the formula. However, the impact of air resistance can be minimized by using a smaller launch angle and a more streamlined object.

4. Is the formula for calculating maximum height applicable to all objects?

No, the formula for calculating maximum height is applicable to objects that are launched vertically with a constant acceleration due to gravity. It may not be accurate for objects with a non-uniform shape or those launched with a different force.

5. Can the maximum height be greater than the initial height?

Yes, the maximum height can be greater than the initial height if the launch angle is greater than 0 degrees. This means that the object is launched at an upward angle and will reach a higher point before falling back to the ground.