Need help choosing a major (even those not in engineering if possible)

In summary, the conversation focuses on a college student seeking advice on what major to choose in order to have a career that aligns with their desire to create a more sustainable world. Suggestions are made for majors in engineering with a focus on sustainability, but the overall message is to follow one's passions and strengths in order to make a positive impact in the world. The importance of not being confined by a specific major and instead using knowledge to make a difference is emphasized.
Chava27
This is my first post on this forum, so please advise me if I should be posting in a different section or on a different website. Notably, I have little knowledge on my question, which is why I’m coming to you guys to help me out a bit.

I’m 1 semester into a US university and am trying to find out what major I should choose. I realized that helping create a “green” and more sustainable world would give fulfillment in my life, so I was led to now find out what career path I should take.
Ironically, my grandfather drilled oil for a living, and we all realize what kind of world that has molded for us. So I would like to know what majors (even those not in engineering) would be the safest routes financially, help me get employed after my degree, and help me create a "greener" more sustainable world. Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One such degree would be electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering if your more into that, even maybe systems engineering, with a focus on sustainability. I think then you get to work with solar cells, wind turbines, and what not.

But ultimately do what you find yourself enjoying the most.

MathWarrior said:
One such degree would be electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering if your more into that, even maybe systems engineering, with a focus on sustainability. I think then you get to work with solar cells, wind turbines, and what not.

But ultimately do what you find yourself enjoying the most.

Thank you for your help! My only problem is that I don't know how to experience each field without wasting a lot of time in the wrong ones. Regardless, I should definatley put much more time into finding out which one is right.

I don't know if this helps, but it seems to me like you're confusing education with career and/or purpose in life.

No one can tell you the answer to a question like what you're asking. You could, for example, major in petroleum engineering, and then use that knowledge to develop greener means of extracting oil from tarsands. You could major in history, and spurn an urban agricultural revolution.

Choosing a specific major is not going to make the world a better place. It's what you do with the knowledge you get that will. So it's best to figure out where your academic strengths and passions are and follow them to the most productive ends possible.

First of all, I commend you for recognizing the importance of creating a sustainable and "green" world. This is a crucial issue that needs to be addressed by individuals and industries alike. I can offer some advice on choosing a major that aligns with your interests and goals.

While engineering may be the most obvious choice for a career in sustainability, there are also other majors that can lead to a career in this field. Environmental science, biology, chemistry, and even business or economics can all play a role in creating a more sustainable world. It's important to consider your strengths and interests when choosing a major, as well as the specific skills and knowledge that are required for the career path you have in mind.

In terms of financial stability and job prospects, it's important to do some research on the job market for your chosen major. Look into industries and companies that are focused on sustainability, as well as any government initiatives or policies that may be relevant. Networking and internships can also be valuable in gaining experience and making connections in this field.

I would also recommend seeking out resources at your university, such as career services or academic advisors, who can provide more tailored guidance and support. Finally, don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in the field for advice and insights on their career paths and experiences. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

When choosing a major, it is important to consider your interests, skills, values, and career goals. You should also research the job market and potential salaries for different majors, as well as the types of courses and opportunities available within each major.

2. How can I determine which major is right for me?

One way to determine which major is right for you is to take career assessments or personality tests to gain insight into your strengths and preferences. You can also talk to academic advisors, current students, and professionals in fields that interest you to get a better understanding of what different majors entail.

3. What if I am interested in multiple majors?

If you are interested in multiple majors, consider double majoring or minoring in one of them. You can also look into interdisciplinary programs that combine elements of different majors. It is also important to consider the time and financial commitments of pursuing multiple majors.

4. Can I change my major if I am not satisfied with my choice?

Yes, most colleges and universities allow students to change their major if they are not satisfied with their initial choice. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and any prerequisite courses required for your new major.

5. What if I am not interested in any majors related to engineering?

If you are not interested in any majors related to engineering, do not feel pressured to pursue a degree in that field. There are many other majors and career paths that may align better with your interests and goals. It is important to explore your options and choose a major that you are passionate about and will lead to a fulfilling career.