1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help choosing a major (even those not in engineering if possible)

1. Jan 20, 2013 #1
    This is my first post on this forum, so please advise me if I should be posting in a different section or on a different website. Notably, I have little knowledge on my question, which is why I’m coming to you guys to help me out a bit.

I’m 1 semester into a US university and am trying to find out what major I should choose. I realized that helping create a “green” and more sustainable world would give fulfillment in my life, so I was led to now find out what career path I should take.
    Ironically, my grandfather drilled oil for a living, and we all realize what kind of world that has molded for us. So I would like to know what majors (even those not in engineering) would be the safest routes financially, help me get employed after my degree, and help me create a "greener" more sustainable world. Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2013 #2
    One such degree would be electrical engineering, or mechanical engineering if your more into that, even maybe systems engineering, with a focus on sustainability. I think then you get to work with solar cells, wind turbines, and what not.

But ultimately do what you find yourself enjoying the most.

4. Jan 20, 2013 #3
    Thank you for your help! My only problem is that I don't know how to experience each field without wasting a lot of time in the wrong ones. Regardless, I should definatley put much more time into finding out which one is right.

5. Jan 20, 2013 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't know if this helps, but it seems to me like you're confusing education with career and/or purpose in life.

No one can tell you the answer to a question like what you're asking. You could, for example, major in petroleum engineering, and then use that knowledge to develop greener means of extracting oil from tarsands. You could major in history, and spurn an urban agricultural revolution.

Choosing a specific major is not going to make the world a better place. It's what you do with the knowledge you get that will. So it's best to figure out where your academic strengths and passions are and follow them to the most productive ends possible.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook