1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need Help creating a voltage regulator

1. Apr 24, 2010 #1
    Need to create voltage regulator, using a sinusodial wave and a 12 V dc source in series and a load resistor 200 ohms. Voltage output must be 5.7
    I Can use op amps, resistors, capacitors, and inductors

I have been working at this for weeks and I can not find any information on how to create one using op amps. My textbook does not go over this either, so I am really lost.

This is where I am so far i can get 11 V on Vout now, with very little sinusoidial action. But I do not know how to get to my desired Vout.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

vk6kro

Science Advisor

A voltage regulator is a device that produces a stable DC voltage of some known value.

It would not have a sinewave output.

Your parts list does not include anything you could make a proper voltage regulator from, but it would be possible to assume the 12 volt supply is stable and divide from that to get 5.7 volts. You can use an opamp as a unity gain amplifier to give an output that was fairly stable with varying loads.

Not sure if this is what you need, but I have modified your diagram to show how you would get this:
    [PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4222062/opamp%20voltage%20divider.PNG [Broken]

Note that the negative supply is probably not necessary for this and you could just earth pin 4.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook