Adjustable Voltage Regulator Output Voltage Range

In summary, the LT1083 develops a 1.25V reference voltage between the output and the adjust terminal. By placing a resistor R1 between these two terminals, a constant current is caused to flow through R1 and down through R2 to set the overall output voltage. If VIN=18V, determine the range over which the output voltage can be varied.
StripesUK

Homework Statement

FIGURE 2 shows an adjustable voltage regulator using the LT1083

.The LT1083 develops a 1.25V reference voltage between the output and the
adjust terminal. By placing a resistor R1 between these two terminals, a constant
current is caused to flow through R1 and down through R2 to set the overall
output voltage.
If VIN=18V, determine the range over which the output voltage can be varied.

Homework Equations

[itex]V OUT=V REF*(1+ \frac{R2}{R1})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]V OUT=1.25*(1+ \frac{1000}{90.9})=15V[/itex]

[itex]V OUT=1.25*(1+ \frac{0}{90.9})=1.25V[/itex]

The output voltage range being 1.25-15V

This is the only equation I can find relating to the output voltage of the regulator. By making two calulations using 0 and 1K ohms of R2 this would give me the range I am looking for, but what is confusing me is the fact that they have given me a V IN. Is this just a false trail or am I actually missing something?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 731
Likes Enochfoul
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint...Read the problem statement carefully then work out the voltage drop across each resistor. Mark it on the circuit and see what that tells you about vout.

CWatters said:
Hint...Read the problem statement carefully then work out the voltage drop across each resistor. Mark it on the circuit and see what that tells you about vout.
If I ADJ is 10mA then the volt drop across R1 is 0.909V and R2 is 10V. I'm struggling to see where this leads?

*Sorry this is totally wrong. I'm don't see what current would be going through R1 and R2...

StripesUK said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]V OUT=1.25*(1+ \frac{1000}{90.9})=15V[/itex]

[itex]V OUT=1.25*(1+ \frac{0}{90.9})=1.25V[/itex]

The output voltage range being 1.25-15V

This is the only equation I can find relating to the output voltage of the regulator. By making two calulations using 0 and 1K ohms of R2 this would give me the range I am looking for, but what is confusing me is the fact that they have given me a V IN. Is this just a false trail or am I actually missing something?
Your results look good. The only criteria that would make Vin important would be the device's specification for the minimum Vin-Vout for proper operation; the device needs some potential difference leeway to work with between the supply voltage and the regulated output voltage. It can't produce 10 V from a 5 V source, for example. This is called the dropout voltage for the device.

Check the device datasheet to find out what this value is and hence whether it comes into play over the range of the given setup.

gneill said:
Your results look good. The only criteria that would make Vin important would be the device's specification for the minimum Vin-Vout for proper operation; the device needs some potential difference leeway to work with between the supply voltage and the regulated output voltage. It can't produce 10 V from a 5 V source, for example. This is called the dropout voltage for the device.

Check the device datasheet to find out what this value is and hence whether it comes into play over the range of the given setup.
When you say minimum Vin-Vout, the LT1083 datasheet has many Vin-Vout's. Which parameter should I be looking at on the datasheet for this?

I presume it would be line regulation which is 1.5<=(Vin-Vout)<=15, but this puts my answers outside of that range?

Look for the Dropout Voltage.

gneill said:
Look for the Dropout Voltage.

I've uploaded an image of the data sheet. The dropout voltage just states, "change in V REF=1%".

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 601
StripesUK said:
I've uploaded an image of the data sheet. The dropout voltage just states, "change in V REF=1%".
Those are the measurement conditions for the parameter. What you want to look at are any MIN, TYP, and MAX values for it:
upload_2016-4-1_8-23-35.png

So it looks like you need to maintain, worst case, a 1.5 V buffer between Vin and Vout.

gneill said:
Those are the measurement conditions for the parameter. What you want to look at are any MIN, TYP, and MAX values for it:
View attachment 98328
So it looks like you need to maintain, worst case, a 1.5 V buffer between Vin and Vout.
Ah okay so the highest voltage of 15V still works just fine.
Many thanks!

StripesUK said:
I'm don't see what current would be going through R1 and R2...

The problem statement tries to explain how it works but isn't very clear. It says..

StripesUK said:
The LT1083 develops a 1.25V reference voltage between the output and the
adjust terminal. By placing a resistor R1 between these two terminals, a constant current is caused to flow through R1 and down through R2

What's happening here is that the LT1083 maintains a voltage of 1.25V across R1. This means the current through R1 must be 1.25/90.9 = 13.75mA

If you assume no current goes into or out of the Adjust Pin then the current in R2 is the same as R1 = 13.75mA.

So now you can work out the voltage across R1 and R2.

R1 and R2 are connected between 0V and Vout.

PS: If you use this method you get the same answer as using the equation you found, except this way helps you understand how the regulator works.

1. What is an adjustable voltage regulator?

An adjustable voltage regulator is an electronic component that is used to control the output voltage of a circuit. It is designed to provide a steady and stable output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load current.

2. How does an adjustable voltage regulator work?

An adjustable voltage regulator works by using a feedback mechanism to adjust the output voltage. It compares the actual output voltage to a reference voltage and makes changes to the circuit to maintain the desired output voltage.

3. What is the typical output voltage range of an adjustable voltage regulator?

The output voltage range of an adjustable voltage regulator can vary depending on the specific model, but it is typically between 1.2V and 37V. Some models may have a wider range, while others may have a narrower range.

4. How is the output voltage range of an adjustable voltage regulator determined?

The output voltage range of an adjustable voltage regulator is determined by the internal circuit design and the components used. The maximum and minimum output voltages are usually specified by the manufacturer and can vary between different models.

5. Can the output voltage range of an adjustable voltage regulator be modified?

Yes, the output voltage range of an adjustable voltage regulator can be modified by changing the feedback resistors or using external components to set the reference voltage. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications when making any modifications to the output voltage range.