Need help deciding between schedules

• Thread starter leehufford
  • Start date
In summary: Option II is one semester shorter before transferring, but has the added benefit of taking linear algebra.
leehufford
Hello,

I am currently at a C.C and plan on majoring in engineering. I am currently in Calc 2, Physics I and Chem I. (Two labs per week is starting to get old with 3 weeks left in the semester). The C.C doesn't offer Physics II during the fall semester. I was hoping someone could analyse these two possible paths:

(I)

Summer 2013 (All summer classes are full 15 week courses- not shortened at all)
Calc III
Programming (C++)

Fall 2013
Diff EQ
Elective

Winter
Linear Algebra
Physics II

(II)

Summer 2013
Calc III
Physics II

Fall 2013
Diff EQ
Programming (C++)
Elective

As you can see, option II is one semester shorter before transferring. Some schools around here require Linear Algebra for engineering but some don't. My physics teacher told us to take as much math as possible. I am currently leaning towards the first path, but am somewhat worried about the 8 months between Physics I and II. Also not having labs at all over summer would be nice. I am doing better in Calc 2 than in Physics I. (We do comprehensive error analysis and write ups for all of our physics labs.)

Just hoping some people who have been here can help me pick the better path. Is it worth the extra semester for an easier summer and the opportunity to take linear algebra? Thanks in advance,

Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
Linear algebra can be taken when you transfer. Do you have any financial concerns? If not, you can't go wrong with either path. Another thing that may help you: will linear algebra transfer from your CC to the universities of interest?

I wouldn't worry too much about the 8 month gap between Physics I and II. Some material from I is used in II, but a review before entering II will be sufficient.

Also, I'm assuming the Programming and Physics II classes conflict in the summer. =)

Thanks for the reply. The C++ class is actually online. I could take Physics II and Programming this summer, but then I would have to take 2 math classes in one semster. I could take Calc III and Physics II over the summer but that would be a lot of work and one of the campuses would then be 45 min from where I live (the other is only 20).

Mmm_Pasta said:
Linear algebra can be taken when you transfer. Do you have any financial concerns? If not, you can't go wrong with either path.

I just want to second this advice - if you go for option II you can take linear algebra after you transfer. If the department you transfer to does not require linear algebra, take it anyway! It is soo important. Engineering departments that do not require it are not doing right by their students.

jason

Dear Lee,

I understand the importance of carefully planning your academic schedule in order to best prepare yourself for your future career in engineering. It is clear that you are considering two options for your upcoming semesters and are seeking advice on which path would be the most beneficial for you.

In my professional opinion, I would recommend option II for several reasons. Firstly, taking Physics II immediately after Physics I would allow you to build upon the knowledge and skills you have already acquired in your current physics course. This may help you perform better in Physics II and also prevent any gaps in your understanding of the subject material.

Additionally, taking Linear Algebra before transferring to a four-year university may be beneficial as it is a common prerequisite for many engineering programs. This will also give you a chance to continue practicing your math skills, which your physics teacher has advised you to do.

I understand your concerns about the shorter summer and the potential for burnout with back-to-back summer courses, but I believe the long-term benefits of completing Linear Algebra and Physics II sooner outweigh the temporary challenges. Furthermore, taking an elective during the fall semester will provide a break from your more rigorous courses and allow you to explore other interests.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and you know your strengths and limitations best. I recommend weighing the pros and cons of each option and considering your long-term goals in order to make the best decision for yourself. Good luck in your academic journey!

Sincerely,

1. What factors should I consider when deciding between schedules?

There are several factors to consider when deciding between schedules, including your personal preferences, work or school commitments, family responsibilities, and any potential conflicts with other events or activities.

2. How do I prioritize my tasks when deciding between schedules?

Prioritizing your tasks can help you determine which schedule would be the most efficient for you. Consider which tasks are time-sensitive or have strict deadlines, and prioritize those when deciding between schedules.

3. How do I determine which schedule will be the most productive for me?

Think about your energy levels and when you tend to be most productive. Some people are early birds and prefer to get their work done in the morning, while others are night owls and work better in the evenings. Choose a schedule that aligns with your natural productivity patterns.

4. What are some strategies for comparing different schedules?

One strategy for comparing schedules is to make a list of the pros and cons for each one. You can also try creating a mock schedule for each option and see which one feels the most manageable and realistic for your daily routine.

5. How can I make the decision between schedules easier?

Consult with friends, family, or a mentor for their input on your schedule options. They may offer valuable insights or suggest things you may not have considered. You can also try setting a trial period for each schedule to see how it works for you before making a final decision.