1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help finding the name of a fluid mechanics/frequency graph

  1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    Someone showed me a graph that has to do with how a cylinder oscillates in uniform flow, starting from no oscillation, to high oscillation, back to none. I know the y-axis is amplitude/diameter and the x-axis is velocity / (natural frequency X diameter)

    I would just like to find out more information but I don't know where to look. Any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2
    Try a google search for "flow around oscillating cylinder" ;)
  4. Jun 3, 2013 #3


    User Avatar

    That may give you the results you want. I suspect you'll find the root phenomenon faster though if you search for "Karman Vortex Street"
  5. Jun 3, 2013 #4


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Searching Strouhal number may also be of interest.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook