Need help finding the right gradschool/program

• Thread starter SrVishi
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for a graduate school in mathematics, specifically in the fields of Mathematical Logic and/or Algebraic Logic with a focus on their applications in artificial intelligence. They prefer to stay within mathematics but may be interested in learning computer science. They are open to suggestions for grad schools in the United States or Canada, with a preference for the US. They are considering applying to top schools like Princeton, MIT, and Harvard, but are also open to other programs that may not be as strict to get into. The speaker has a 3.9 GPA and plans on taking the GRE soon. They are currently in their junior year of undergraduate studies and are aware that the best grad schools may not necessarily be part of the Ivy League
SrVishi
Hello everyone, I am soon going to look into graduate schools in mathematics. One area I would really like to study is Mathematical Logic and/or Algebraic Logic, but mostly their part in the application to artificial intelligence (mostly like strong ai/consciousness). And I mean this from the theoretical and mathematical perspective, though I hope to some time take up learning at least some basic computer science on my own (though I would like to stay within mathematics). Part of the reason I am asking for such a program is that I generally enjoy all most all math subjects equally, so I am just narrowing it down into fields with what I think have the most interesting applications, on top of logic/set theory/algebraic logic just being really cool. Can anyone help me find such a grad school and program? Thanks in advance for any response.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any restrictions on which part of the world?

Hopefully within the United States, and if not, Canada (really would prefer U.S. though)

What kind of programs do you think are realistic? Do you want to apply to places like Princeton, MIT or Harvard? The top programs are all pretty well balanced. There are rankings by subfield in U.S news but those are probably not too reliable.

I was considering applying to those places anyways, but maybe something perhaps not as strict to get into as the ivy leagues.

What are your scores? and if you have one a GPA?

I have 3.9 GPA, taking the gre some time soon. Don't know when I'm just started junior year.

Ok cool if you can maintain that GPA that will definitely help you. So I'm assuming your in your 3rd year of undergrad based on the fact your looking for a good grad school. Anyways not all the best grad schools belong to the ivy league group, also, most grad schools will specify there strengths, it just takes some digging!

1. How do I determine which grad school or program is the right fit for me?

Finding the right grad school or program can be overwhelming, but there are a few key factors to consider. First, think about your academic and career goals, as well as your personal interests. Research schools and programs that align with these goals and interests. Next, consider the location, cost, and available resources at each school. Lastly, reach out to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of their experiences and if it aligns with what you are looking for.

2. What resources are available to help me find the right grad school or program?

There are many resources available to help you in your search for the right grad school or program. You can start by using online resources such as grad school search engines, university websites, and professional organizations. Additionally, you can attend graduate school fairs, speak with advisors or mentors, and join online forums or groups to connect with others who are also searching for grad schools or programs.

3. How important are rankings in choosing a grad school or program?

While rankings can be a helpful factor in your decision-making process, they should not be the sole determining factor. Rankings can provide insight into the reputation and quality of a program, but they may not necessarily reflect the best fit for your personal goals and interests. It's important to also consider other factors such as program curriculum, faculty, and resources available at each school.

4. What should I look for in a grad school or program's faculty?

The faculty at a grad school or program can have a significant impact on your education and future career. When researching potential schools, look for faculty members who have expertise in your field of interest, as well as a strong track record of research and publications. You may also want to consider the faculty-to-student ratio and the availability of mentorship opportunities.

5. How important is the location of a grad school or program?

The location of a grad school or program may be important to some individuals, while others may prioritize the program's quality and resources over location. When considering location, think about your personal preferences and needs, such as cost of living, access to transportation, and cultural or social opportunities. Ultimately, the location should be a factor in your decision, but it should not be the only factor.