Need help integrating? Format Help?

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with inputting a wave function and its derivatives into Wolfram Alpha or Mathematica. The student is having trouble formatting the notation and is wondering if there is a simpler way to solve the problem. The expert suggests solving the problem by hand and clarifying the question for better help.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

This may seem like a strange question but I need help putting and integral into wolfram alpha/mathematica. I have to find <x>, <x^2>, <p>, and <p^2> for a given wave function. I know the formulas for all these values but the wave function is ψ(x,t)= Axe^[-x^2 ((sqrt(km))/2h)]*e^[-3it/2(sqrt(k/m))]

so the partial derivatives are long and hard for me to format...ive been trying to input this equation and its derivatives for almost an hour now and can't get a compatible format.. anyone able to help? or maybe there is a way to reduce the notation or does something cancel out? thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
My statement is most likely moo, but why not solve it by hand?

I suspect the question isn't worded clearly enough for me to be certain this is what you are really looking for.

Perhaps this will help with your notation problem

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...2+(Sqrt[k+m]/2h))*e^(-3+i+t/2(Sqrt[k/m]))+,x]

But I'm guessing there still are not correctly placed () in that somewhere.

If you can provide a more detailed and clear question of exactly what you are looking for then perhaps I can provide a more relevant hint

Last edited:
Solving equations like this in Wolfram is a fools errand. You have to use your noggin!

Bryson said:
You have to use your noggin!
Or you won't learn. This problem is set up to be easy to do by hand.

I cannot argue with that!

1. What does "integrating" mean?

Integrating refers to the process of combining different elements or parts into a unified whole.

2. Why do I need help with integrating?

Integrating can be a complex and time-consuming task, especially when dealing with multiple components. Seeking help can save time and ensure a more efficient integration process.

3. What does "format help" mean?

Format help refers to assistance with arranging or organizing information or data in a specific structure or layout.

4. How can I get help with integrating?

You can get help with integrating by seeking guidance from experienced professionals, utilizing online resources, or attending workshops or training sessions.

5. Is it necessary to integrate in my field of study?

Integrating is important in most fields of study as it allows for a more comprehensive understanding and analysis of a topic or problem. It also helps in connecting different theories or concepts and finding new insights.