1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help integrating a function involving e^(-t^2)

1. Aug 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The context of this question is physics related but the problem I am having is purely mathematical.

g(t)= e^(-(a^2)(t^2))*e^(iwt) (a and w are just constants, i is sqrt(-1), not a constant)

I need to integrate this function with respect to t from -infinity to +infinity.

2. Relevant equations

error function: erf(x) = 2/sqrt(pi) * e^-t^2dt evaluated from t=0 to t=x

erf(infinity)=1, erf(-infinity) = -1

3. The attempt at a solution

i simplified g(t) to = e^(iwt-(a^2)(t^2)) and used an online integrator to get the answer.

My problem is that the integrated function involves the error function. From the math classes I have taken, the only way for me to have gotten that answer is if I had looked it up.

Clearly I wont be able to use an online integrator on an actual test so I was wondering If there are methods to deduce the answer without actually taking the integral.

Any insight is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2011 #2
    if you want to integrate e^(-t^2) , and the integral is over all space you can square the integral and then change one of t's to another letter and then do it in polar coordinates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral
    look at this article it tells you how to compute using the trick i explained.
    As one of my math professors would say its black magic.

4. Aug 10, 2011 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note: i = sqrt (-1) is a constant

5. Aug 10, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write a^2*t*2 - i*w*t = a^2*(t^2 - 2*(i*w/ (2*a^2))*t) = a^2*(t - b)^2 - a^2*b^2, where b = i*w/(2*a^2). Thus, int_{-inf..inf} g(t) dt = exp(-a^2*b^2)*int_{u=-inf..inf} exp(-a^2*u^2) du, by changing variables to u = t-b. (Note: the t-integration goes along the real axis, while the u-integration goes along a line parallel to the real (u) axis (because b is imaginary); however, because the function exp(-a^2*u^2) is analytic and goes quickly to zero as |Re(u)| --> infinity, we can apply some standard theorems to show that the same integral is obtained by shifting the contour down to the real u-axis, so we get back again to a real function on the real line.)

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook