Need help integrating a function involving e^(-t^2)

In summary, the person is trying to integrate a function involving the error function. They simplified the problem to t=e^iwt-(a^2)(t^2). They used an online integrator to get the answer. Their problem is that the integrated function involves the error function. From the math classes they have taken, the only way to get that answer is if they looked it up. They asked if there are methods to deduce the answer without actually taking the integral. Any insight is much appreciated.
JFuld

Homework Statement

The context of this question is physics related but the problem I am having is purely mathematical.

g(t)= e^(-(a^2)(t^2))*e^(iwt) (a and w are just constants, i is sqrt(-1), not a constant)

I need to integrate this function with respect to t from -infinity to +infinity.

Homework Equations

error function: erf(x) = 2/sqrt(pi) * e^-t^2dt evaluated from t=0 to t=x

erf(infinity)=1, erf(-infinity) = -1

The Attempt at a Solution

i simplified g(t) to = e^(iwt-(a^2)(t^2)) and used an online integrator to get the answer.

My problem is that the integrated function involves the error function. From the math classes I have taken, the only way for me to have gotten that answer is if I had looked it up.

Clearly I won't be able to use an online integrator on an actual test so I was wondering If there are methods to deduce the answer without actually taking the integral.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you want to integrate e^(-t^2) , and the integral is over all space you can square the integral and then change one of t's to another letter and then do it in polar coordinates.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_integral
look at this article it tells you how to compute using the trick i explained.
As one of my math professors would say its black magic.

Note: i = sqrt (-1) is a constant

JFuld said:

Homework Statement

The context of this question is physics related but the problem I am having is purely mathematical.

g(t)= e^(-(a^2)(t^2))*e^(iwt) (a and w are just constants, i is sqrt(-1), not a constant)

I need to integrate this function with respect to t from -infinity to +infinity.

Homework Equations

error function: erf(x) = 2/sqrt(pi) * e^-t^2dt evaluated from t=0 to t=x

erf(infinity)=1, erf(-infinity) = -1

The Attempt at a Solution

i simplified g(t) to = e^(iwt-(a^2)(t^2)) and used an online integrator to get the answer.

My problem is that the integrated function involves the error function. From the math classes I have taken, the only way for me to have gotten that answer is if I had looked it up.

Clearly I won't be able to use an online integrator on an actual test so I was wondering If there are methods to deduce the answer without actually taking the integral.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Write a^2*t*2 - i*w*t = a^2*(t^2 - 2*(i*w/ (2*a^2))*t) = a^2*(t - b)^2 - a^2*b^2, where b = i*w/(2*a^2). Thus, int_{-inf..inf} g(t) dt = exp(-a^2*b^2)*int_{u=-inf..inf} exp(-a^2*u^2) du, by changing variables to u = t-b. (Note: the t-integration goes along the real axis, while the u-integration goes along a line parallel to the real (u) axis (because b is imaginary); however, because the function exp(-a^2*u^2) is analytic and goes quickly to zero as |Re(u)| --> infinity, we can apply some standard theorems to show that the same integral is obtained by shifting the contour down to the real u-axis, so we get back again to a real function on the real line.)

RGV

1. What is the function e^(-t^2)?

The function e^(-t^2) is also known as the Gaussian function or the bell curve. It is a mathematical function that describes the shape of many physical phenomena, such as the distribution of values in a set of data.

2. What is integration and why is it important in this context?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. In the context of e^(-t^2), integration is important because it allows us to find the total probability of a particular event occurring within a given range of values.

3. How do I approach integrating a function involving e^(-t^2)?

There are several approaches to integrating a function involving e^(-t^2), depending on the specific problem. One common method is to use the substitution method, where you replace t with another variable u and then solve the resulting integral. Another approach is to use integration by parts, which involves breaking down the integral into smaller, more manageable parts.

4. Are there any special techniques for integrating e^(-t^2)?

Yes, there are several special techniques for integrating e^(-t^2) that can make the process easier. One of these techniques is using the Gaussian integral formula, which involves converting the integral into a form that can be solved using known mathematical identities. Another technique is using a power series expansion, where e^(-t^2) is represented as a sum of infinite terms and then integrated term by term.

5. Can I use technology to help me integrate a function involving e^(-t^2)?

Yes, there are many mathematical software programs and online tools that can help you integrate a function involving e^(-t^2). These tools use advanced algorithms and techniques to quickly and accurately solve complex integrals, saving you time and effort. However, it is always important to understand the underlying principles and techniques of integration to ensure the accuracy of your results.