Need help on basic fluid volume calculation

In summary, The person is seeking help with calculating fluid volume for a pressure vessel in order to determine the number of shifts possible with a pneumatic shift system for a formula car. There are various factors to consider, such as the size of the opening and whether or not the flow is choked. Building a prototype and testing it may be the best approach.
brembo
Need help on basic fluid volume calculation!

Hey guys, I need some help calculating a volume.

Ok, so say we are given a pressure vessel with an 88ci volume @ 4500psi which is then regulated down to 100psi and we open a valve for 0.1 second. How many cubic inches of air would be released?

The reason why I am asking is because I am developing a pneumatic shift system for a formula car. And I need to know how many shifts we can get per tank of compressed air.

Im not sure as to which formula to use but I figure someone here would.

If you need any other information just let me know.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

It depends. The simplest possible answer would be to assume that the flow is choked, but even that would require knowledge of how large the opening is, and it may or may not be close to the correct answer (depending on the details of the system). Your best bet is probably to build a prototype and test it, if that's in your budget.

1. What is fluid volume calculation?

Fluid volume calculation is the process of determining the amount of fluid that occupies a given space or container. It involves using mathematical formulas to calculate the volume of a fluid based on its dimensions.

2. Why is fluid volume calculation important in science?

Fluid volume calculation is important in science because it helps scientists understand the behavior and properties of fluids. It is used to determine the amount of fluid in a system, which can affect its flow, pressure, and other characteristics.

3. What are the basic principles of fluid volume calculation?

The basic principles of fluid volume calculation include the use of mathematical equations such as the volume formula for common shapes like cylinders, spheres, and cubes. It also involves the conversion of measurements between different units, such as liters, gallons, and cubic meters.

4. How can I calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped container?

To calculate the volume of an irregularly shaped container, you can use the displacement method. This involves filling the container with a known amount of water and measuring the increase in volume. The difference between the original and final volume is the volume of the container.

5. What are some common applications of fluid volume calculation?

Fluid volume calculation has many applications in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and medicine. It is used to design and test fluid systems, determine medication dosages, and analyze the behavior of substances in a liquid state.