Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help on finding a program that can output transient curves as txt

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    Hello!

I'm currently working on a solenoid and trying to simulate the response of a ferrous rod in the coil.

I've been using FEMM 4.2 for my magnetostatic simulations, and

Pspice Schematics 9.1 for the circuit part.

I was thinking of combining the two by using scripts to let FEMM run through the current transient response of the circuit to get an exact result (rather than just using a single current value and assuming a rectangular pulse)

However, my current problem is that Pspice only gives me the plot of the transient and by looking at all the files that it generates (in the same folder as the schematic file) i couldn't find any in which the simulated points are placed.

Please help me find a way around this problem, anything that will work and can be written into code will be fine for me.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Please redirect me if i'm posting in the wrong place

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Back in the days of Basic and dot matrix printers, I did this to plot results:

Write the points into an array,
    scale the array entries so that every one was a number between 0 and 100,
    which is essentially divide each entry by largest one , multiply by 100 and INT;

make each array entry into a string variable of ASCII space characters and an asterisk at the point corresponding to that entry's value,
    for example if value of an entry is 50 then L$=49(chr$20h)+chr$(2Ah) , pardon my rusty grammar;

set my Epson dot matrix printer to 132 character line width;
    print the string variables one to a line.

Take the paper as it comes out of the printer and turn it sideways and you have a plot.

In the days of TI99's and fanfold paper it worked great even for long plots.
    Surely there's more modern tools nowadays..

old jim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook