Need Help on Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2

• Thread starter Karnage1993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: Why is that?Ahh, thank you, that formula fits in with simplifying 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + n2However, a quick question on that. As we see in the first bracket, the addition... doesn't match up with the denominator. Why is that?The author is assuming that you know the basic sum: ∑i=1 (2i-1)= 1 + 3+ 5+ ... + (2n-1). Once you know that, it is easy to see that the addition in the second bracket matches the denominator.
Karnage1993

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having trouble on a question from Spivak's Calculus 4E. It's on page 27, chapter 2 and question number 2.

He asks to find the formula for n Sigma i=1 (2i -1)= 1 + 3 + 5 + ... + (2n-1)

Homework Equations

Unfortunately I don't know how to use the symbols on a thread like this; anyone care to assist? :)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well since this is an induction chapter, I tried coming up with a formula using n+1 but that got me into a mess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Place a dot on a piece of paper. Then add 3 more to make a square with 4 dots. Then add 5 more along the top and right sides of the rectangle. Keep this up. What do you notice?

LCKurtz said:
Place a dot on a piece of paper. Then add 3 more to make a square with 4 dots. Then add 5 more along the top and right sides of the rectangle. Keep this up. What do you notice?

Hi, thanks for the help. It ends up being a square so the sum would be n2; however for part 2 of the question, instead of 1+3+5... etc

it is nƩi=1 (2i-1)2 = 12 + 32 + 52 +... + (2n-1)2

So how would I tackle this one? The formula that Spivak comes up with is much more complicated than just n2.

Karnage1993 said:
Hi, thanks for the help. It ends up being a square so the sum would be n2; however for part 2 of the question, instead of 1+3+5... etc

it is nƩi=1 (2i-1)2 = 12 + 32 + 52 +... + (2n-1)2

So how would I tackle this one? The formula that Spivak comes up with is much more complicated than just n2.

I don't have a copy of Spivak anymore. I assume he tells you what the sum is. I would just prove it by induction.

Here's a different way of doing it: let
S=1+ 3+ 5+ ...+ (2n- 5)+ (2n- 3)+ (2n- 1). Reversing the order of addition doesn't change the result so
S= (2n-1)+ (2n-3)+ (2n-5)+ ...+5+ 3+ 1.

Adding vertically, 1+ (2n-1)= 2n. 3+ (2n-3)= 2n, 5+ (2n-5)= 2n, etc. Every one of those sums is 2n. Since there are n such sums (convince yourself of that!) they total to [itex](2n)(n)= 2n^2[/itex]. Because we have, in fact, added twice, the S is equal to [itex]n^2[/itex].

LCKurtz said:
I don't have a copy of Spivak anymore. I assume he tells you what the sum is. I would just prove it by induction.

Yes he says the formula would end up being:

n(2n+1)(2n-1) all over 3, but I am not sure how he got to this point.

Karnage1993 said:
Yes he says the formula would end up being:

n(2n+1)(2n-1) all over 3, but I am not sure how he got to this point.

But you don't have to know how the formula was discovered to prove it is correct.

Here's how he dealt with the problem:

10f2yah.jpg

My question is how did he come up with the difference in the first step?

Karnage1993 said:
Here's how he dealt with the problem:

10f2yah.jpg

My question is how did he come up with the difference in the first step?
Well, in between steps 1 & 2 you could have
= 12 + 22 - 22 + 32 + 42 - 42 + ... + (2n)2 - (2n)2
The author probably thought this step was obvious enough and so did not write it explicitly.

EDIT:
Alternatively, you could expand (2i-1)2. If you know the basic sums ∑i and ∑i2, it is possible to write things out in terms of those.

Redbelly98 said:
Well, in between steps 1 & 2 you could have
= 12 + 22 - 22 + 32 + 42 - 42 + ... + (2n)2 - (2n)2
The author probably thought this step was obvious enough and so did not write it explicitly.

EDIT:
Alternatively, you could expand (2i-1)2. If you know the basic sums ∑i and ∑i2, it is possible to write things out in terms of those.

Hi, thanks for the assistance. That would make sense that he's adding and subtracting the same values, thereby just adding by 0. However, what I'm confused is how he got from the +...+ to just a non-continuous expression with denominator of 6.

I remember watching a video of someone simplifying nƩi=1 j^2 into an expression with denominator of 6, but that was using induction and adding (j+1)^2 to both sides; something I don't think we had to do for a question like this.

He is assuming that you already know this formula:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2 = \frac{(n)(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

and using it to derive the result for the odd squares.

LCKurtz said:
He is assuming that you already know this formula:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2 = \frac{(n)(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

and using it to derive the result for the odd squares.

Ahh, thank you, that formula fits in with simplifying 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + n2

However, a quick question on that. As we see in the first bracket, the addition ends with (2n)2, but the formula only works for upto n2. Could you clarify how 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + (2n)2 derives from [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2 = \frac{(n)(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

And on a similar note, how would such cases that end with (3n)2 or even (4n)2 derive from that same formula?

Thank you.

(Btw, I wish Spivak would introduce or give us these formulas before the problem sets so I wouldn't be so confused; at only question #2; it's really difficult for me being a 1st year student with no proofs knowledge whatsoever.)

Karnage1993 said:
Ahh, thank you, that formula fits in with simplifying 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + n2

However, a quick question on that. As we see in the first bracket, the addition ends with (2n)2, but the formula only works for upto n2. Could you clarify how 12 + 22 + 32 + ... + (2n)2 derives from [tex]\sum_{k=1}^n k^2 = \frac{(n)(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

And on a similar note, how would such cases that end with (3n)2 or even (4n)2 derive from that same formula?

That formula works for any positive integer n. 2n is a positive integer so it works for that too. Ditto for any other positive integer.

1. What concepts are covered in Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2?

Chapter 2 of Spivak's Calculus covers the foundations of limits, including the definition of a limit, basic limit laws, and the limit theorems for sums, products, and quotients.

2. How difficult is Chapter 2 of Spivak's Calculus?

The difficulty of Chapter 2 will vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and understanding of calculus. However, it is considered to be a challenging chapter as it lays the groundwork for more complex topics in later chapters.

3. What is the best way to study Chapter 2 of Spivak's Calculus?

To effectively study Chapter 2, it is important to understand and memorize the definition of a limit, practice applying the basic limit laws and theorems, and do plenty of practice problems to solidify your understanding.

4. Are there any online resources or supplemental materials that can help with Chapter 2 of Spivak's Calculus?

Yes, there are various online resources and supplemental materials available such as study guides, practice problems, and video tutorials that can aid in understanding Chapter 2 of Spivak's Calculus. It is also helpful to join study groups or seek help from a tutor if needed.

5. How can I prepare for the exams in Chapter 2 of Spivak's Calculus?

To prepare for exams, it is important to review your notes, do practice problems, and make sure you understand the concepts and their applications. It is also helpful to go over any mistakes made on previous assignments or quizzes to identify areas that need more attention.