Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2 Problem 1(ii)

• Thread starter bassnbrats
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation is about proving the formula for the sum of cubes using induction, specifically in exercise 1 (ii) of chapter 2 in Spivak's Calculus. The person asking for help does not understand the first step of the proof, where the square of sums expands in a certain way. They have already worked through a similar problem and understand everything after the first line of the proof.
bassnbrats

Homework Statement

Prove the following formulas by induction.

(ii) 13+...+n3= (1+...+n)2.

I am starting Spivak's Calculus by myself, and I simply do not understand Spivak's proof for the sum of the cubes equaling the square of the sum, exercise 1 (ii) of chapter 2 in his third edition. I tried to attach his proof to this thread. The only step I cannot figure out is the first, where (1+...+k+[k+1])2 = (1+...+k)2+2(1+...+k)(k+1)+(k+1)2.

I have already worked through problem 1 (i), so I understand everything that follows the first line of the proof. But how/why does the square of the sums expand this way once induction is applied? Please help!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-01-12 at 7.06.01 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-01-12 at 7.06.01 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bassnbrats said:

Homework Statement

Prove the following formulas by induction.

(ii) 13+...+n3= (1+...+n)2.

I am starting Spivak's Calculus by myself, and I simply do not understand Spivak's proof for the sum of the cubes equaling the square of the sum, exercise 1 (ii) of chapter 2 in his third edition. I tried to attach his proof to this thread. The only step I cannot figure out is the first, where (1+...+k+[k+1])2 = (1+...+k)2+2(1+...+k)(k+1)+(k+1)2.

I have already worked through problem 1 (i), so I understand everything that follows the first line of the proof. But how/why does the square of the sums expand this way once induction is applied? Please help!
What is (a + b)2 ?

Now let a = 1 + 2 +3 + ... + k

and b = (k + 1)

Oh bother...

thank you

bassnbrats said:
Oh bother...

thank you

With all those + ... + k ... it can be hard to see.

1. What is Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2 Problem 1(ii)?

Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2 Problem 1(ii) is a mathematical problem from the second chapter of the textbook "Calculus" written by Michael Spivak. It is the second part of the first problem in the chapter and it covers the concept of limits and continuity.

2. What is the purpose of this problem?

The purpose of Spivak's Calculus Chapter 2 Problem 1(ii) is to test the reader's understanding of the concept of continuity and to practice solving problems related to limits and continuity.

3. What is the difficulty level of this problem?

The difficulty level of this problem can vary depending on the reader's level of understanding of calculus. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging problem that requires a strong understanding of the concept of continuity and the ability to manipulate mathematical expressions.

4. How can I approach solving this problem?

To solve this problem, it is important to first review the concept of continuity and understand the definition of a continuous function. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller parts and use algebraic manipulation to simplify the expressions. It may also be helpful to refer to examples and practice problems from the textbook.

5. Are there any resources available to help with solving this problem?

Yes, there are various resources available such as online forums and study groups where you can discuss and get help with solving this problem. You can also refer to the solutions manual or seek guidance from a math tutor or teacher. It is important to practice and have a solid understanding of the concept before attempting to solve this problem on your own.