Need help rigging something to chill soil.

• Thread starter BlakeInCanada
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Soil
In summary, the conversation discusses the need to cool indoor plants in order to make them bloom. The speaker has tried various methods such as using frozen bottles of water and metal knives, but is looking for a more effective and less labor-intensive solution. The idea of putting lights in the fridge is suggested and deemed safe, with a personal reference to Christmas lights in the snow. This method may be more efficient and allow for longer periods of time away from home.
BlakeInCanada
I have some indoor plants that I didn't realize needed to be cooled in order to bloom. SInce it's too late to get cold air from outside, I'm trying to rig something to make it happen indoors (as cheaply as possible).

The stem of the plant where it meets the soil is supposed to be kept around 4-5C (40F) for 4 weeks. I can't just put them in the fridge because they need light.

So I've tried putting a frozen bottle of water in the soil next to the plant, and it works somewhat. The soil and stem are rarely cold enough. And I need to change the bottles twice a day for both plants.

I've also tried putting metal knives in the soil pressed up against the stem, and putting the frozen bottle on the knives to nearly freeze them and keep the stem cold. It's not very effective though.

I was wondering if some kind of solid metal taken out of the freezer would be more effective than frozen water.

If anyone has any other ideas to make it work better or be less of a chore, I'd love to hear them!

Thank you.:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
put lights in the fridge. Use fluorescent ones they don't put off that much heat. Or maybe led lights .

I don't know how I could get lights in the fridge. Would it be safe to try?

Hey fellow Canadian

BlakeInCanada said:
I don't know how I could get lights in the fridge. Would it be safe to try?

You should be fine if you find a thin enough electric cable. The one that connects your fluorescent lights to an outside socket should exit the fridge without hindering too much the seal of your fridge door. Other than unexpected spills of milk on the lamp :wink:, I don't see any danger for the lamp, much less any safety hazards. Well since we both are Canadians, let's add a personal reference:

Think of it like Christmas lights outside in the snow. It's definitely between 4 and -5 out there at that time, and depending where you are from exactly, it can be much colder!

I think I might end up doing that. I can take out the shelf over the fruit drawer and put the whole planter in the fridge on top of the drawer. It would let me keep the upper shelf for drinks too. I could probably fill in the gaps in the seal to minimize energy loss.

It would be a little work to set up, but less in the long run than changing bottles twice a day, and it would let me leave home for longer periods.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1. How can I rig something to chill soil?

There are a few different methods you can use to rig something to chill soil. One option is to create a makeshift cold frame using materials such as wood, plastic, and insulation. Another option is to use a refrigeration unit or ice packs placed around the soil. You could also consider using shade cloth or a shade structure to help keep the soil cool.

2. What materials do I need to rig something to chill soil?

The materials you will need will depend on the method you choose to rig something to chill soil. For a makeshift cold frame, you will need wood, plastic, and insulation. For a refrigeration unit, you will need a power source, refrigerant, and insulation. For shade cloth or a shade structure, you will need the appropriate fabric or material and a frame to support it.

3. How long should I chill the soil for?

The amount of time you should chill the soil will depend on the type of plant you are trying to grow and its specific temperature requirements. Some plants may only need a short period of chilling, while others may require longer periods. It is important to research the specific needs of your plants before determining the duration of chilling.

4. Can I use natural methods to chill the soil?

Yes, there are natural methods that can be used to chill the soil, such as using mulch or planting in a shady area. These methods may not provide as much cooling as other options, but they can still help to lower the soil temperature and provide a healthier environment for plant growth.

5. Are there any potential risks to rigging something to chill soil?

Yes, there are potential risks involved in rigging something to chill soil. Using refrigeration units or ice packs can be expensive and may require a power source. Additionally, if not done properly, these methods could potentially damage the plants or soil. It is important to research and carefully consider the potential risks before attempting to rig something to chill soil.