Need Help Setting up Differential Equation

In summary, the problem involves a tank containing 3200 L of pure water, with a solution containing 0.11 kg of contaminant per liter entering at a rate of 8 L/min and draining at the same rate. The task is to write a differential equation for the amount of contaminant in the tank at a given time. After considering the rate in and rate out, the equation is determined to be dC/dt = .88 - C(t)/400.
swooshfactory

Homework Statement

A tank contains 3200 L of pure water. A solution that contains 0.11 kg of contaminent per liter enters the tank at the rate 8 L/min. The solution is mixed and drains from the tank at the same rate.

with C representing the amount of contaminent in kg at time t (in minutes), write a differential equation that models this situation.

Homework Equations

possibly int(udv) = uv - int (vdu) (integration by parts)

The Attempt at a Solution

rate in: 8 L /min * .11kg/ L = .88 kg/min I am confused about where to put the variable t here. From my solution, it would appear that .88/t would be right, but then the rate in would decrease over time. This doesn't seem right. Would it be .88t or .88/t or just .88?

rate out: 8 L/min * C(t)/3200L = C(t)/400 kg/min.

DC/dt= rate in - rate out

DC/dt= .88t - C(t)/400

Is this correct? Should I have added the "t" when it is kg/min?

***In my most recent attempt at this problem, I have come up with:
dC/dT = .88 - C(t)/400

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dC(t)/dt=.88-C(t)/400 is correct.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives and is commonly used to model and analyze real-world phenomena in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. Why do we need to use differential equations?

Differential equations are used to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems that change over time. They allow us to understand and analyze the relationships between different variables and how they affect each other. This is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and economics.

3. How do I set up a differential equation?

To set up a differential equation, you first need to identify the variables and their relationships in the problem. Then, you can use mathematical rules and principles to express these relationships in the form of an equation. This equation will involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of the variables with respect to time or another independent variable.

4. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs involve only one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. SDEs also involve random variables and are used to model systems with uncertainty.

5. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some equations can be solved analytically using mathematical techniques, while others require numerical methods or computer simulations. It is important to understand the properties and behavior of the equation before choosing an appropriate method for solving it.