1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help, Stuck on Calc 1 Homework

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    Need Help, Stuck on Calc 1 Homework!!

1. Find constants A, B, and C such that the function [tex] y = Ax^2 + Bx + C [/tex] satisfies the equation [tex] y'' + y' - 2y = x^2 [/tex]

2. Find [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{sin(a + 2x)-2sin(a + x)+sin a}{x^2}
    [/tex]

3. If [tex] y = \frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2-1}} - \frac{2}{\sqrt{a^2-1}} \arctan\frac{\sin(x)}{a+\sqrt(a^2-1)+\cos(x)}
    [/tex] show that [tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{a+\cos(x)} [/tex]

I'm completely stuck with these questions; they are much harder than the ones on the exam. I'd appreciate anyone who can point me in the right direction as to where/how to start.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Need Help, Stuck on Calc 1 Homework!!

Hello King Kong, welcome to the Forums. You are pretty much required to show your attempt before you will receive much help. Since this is your first post, I will just give you a hint on the first one. Take the derivatives, plug them in, and see what A,B, and C work.

4. Feb 25, 2010 #3

Thanks for the welcome. I have attempted these problems on my own but got stuck and don't know how to continue.
    For problem #1, I took the first and second derivatives of [tex] y = Ax^2+Bx+C [/tex]
    [tex] y' = 2Ax + B [/tex] and [tex] y'' = 2A [/tex]. Then I plug them in and got:
    [tex] 2A + 2Ax + B - 2Ax^2 - 2BX - 2C = X^2 [/tex]. This is where I got stuck, what should I do next?

For problem #2, I used the addition formula for sin which is sin(x+y) = sinxcosy + cosxsiny. But the result did not help me get rid of the X^2 in the denominator.

As for problem #3, the only way I can think of is to apply the quotient and product rule, which will result in a long and tedious operation.

I appreciate any additional hint/advice.

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4

For 1, on the left side of the equation there is only one term that has [tex]x^2[/tex], that is of course [tex]-2Ax^2[/tex], so from that you know that A must be -1/2, using that A you can figure out how all the other terms cancel out.

6. Feb 25, 2010 #5

I got A = -1/2 part and If I substitute -1/2 for A in the equation I get -1-x-B-2BX-2C = 0 but how do I use it to solve for other terms? Can you elaborate on that please? thanks!

7. Feb 25, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You want it to come out x2 + 0x + 0.

8. Feb 26, 2010 #7

Bump... still need help with problem 2 and 3.

9. Feb 26, 2010 #8

For number 2, do you know Hopital's rule?

10. Feb 26, 2010 #9

Nope.

11. Feb 26, 2010 #10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Hôpital's_rule

Take your numerator as a function, perhaps calling it f(x). Then call your denominator g(x) = x2. What is f ''(x) and g ''(x)? Then find the limit of f ''(x) / g ''(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook