Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help to determine the supply voltage

1. Jun 24, 2012 #1
    I've inherited a drill and I have no idea what voltage is required to run this thing. The image below displays all the information available. I've also unscrewed the top and found no clues inside. Ditto for the website. Long shot: Does anyone know what the supply voltage of this thing might be, or how I should go about finding it? I don't have an adjustable power supply, btw.

Thanks!

14bupsg.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi gnurf! :smile:

I just looked up what you have there.
    It turns out the wording and numbers you have are just the name and address of the factory in Switzerland.

Then I looked up the supply voltage that is used in Switzerland, which is 230 V at 50 Hz.
    This is the same as it is everywhere in Europe.

The only thing bothering me is the plug that's on it.
    Plugs are always male and never female.
    Is it possible you have an adapter to go with it?

According to wikipedia Switzerland normally uses plugs of type C and J.
    And only in old installations type E.
    But none of those appear to match the plug you have (that is female!? :confused:).

100px-Euro-Flachstecker_2.jpg
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2a/J_plug.jpg/100px-J_plug.jpg [Broken]
    100px-E_plug_and_socket.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 24, 2012 #3
    Hi I_Like_Serena, thanks a lot for your effort. After staring blankly at the drill for a while I realized there were more movable parts, and so I found this:

WokZG.jpg

Case closed! :)

5. Jun 24, 2012 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hah! That looks a lot like an adapter.

Enjoy! :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook