1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help to prove this Identity!

1. Jul 14, 2010 #1
    Help! I spent 3 hours attempting this question. Prove the following identity :

(tan x + sec x -1) / (tan x - sec x + 1) = tan x + sec x

I've simplified Left Hand Side into cos and sine. Which ended up like this
    (sine x - cos x + 1) / (sine x + cos x -1)

Then I'm stuck.

Any help is very much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

So far, so good.
    Edit: changed a sign in numerator and denominator, below.
    Now multiply by 1 in the form of (sin x + cos x + 1)/(sin x + cos x + 1). Remember the identity sin2x + cos2x = 1.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  4. Jul 15, 2010 #3
    Hi there, thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I've done the multiplication and now I ended up with (sin^2 x - cos^2 x - 1) / (2 + 2sinxcosx -2sinx)

I tried to further simplify into sin^2 x - 1 / 1 + sinxcosx - sin x, but then I'm stuck here.. wondering if this is the correct method.

Thanks in advance!

5. Jul 15, 2010 #4

Mark44

Sorry, I steered you wrong. My scratch work was correct but I copied a sign incorrectly in my post. The left side of the identity is equal to (sin x + 1 - cos x)/(sin x - 1 + cos x), which equals (sin x - cos x + 1)/(sin x + cos x - 1). Multiply this expression by 1 in the form of (sin x + cos x + 1)/(sin x + cos x + 1).

6. Jul 15, 2010 #5
    Thanks - I've got it. :)

May I ask you - how do you know what to do with this question in the first place? I mean, how do you know to mulitply by one (which I understand and make sense) but how to do you what to multiply with?

I mean it could be sinx + cosx +1 or sinx - cos x + 1 or any other combination.

Do you have a specific method or have to try out one by one?

7. Jul 16, 2010 #6

Mark44

Sometimes you have to try different things out, but it boils down to multiplying a + b by a - b to get a2 - b2, or multiplying a - b by a + b to get the same thing, to see if that gets you anywhere. With those squared terms I was hoping to get sin2(x) + cos2(x), which I can replace by 1.

In your problem, there was (sin x - cos x + 1)/(sin x + cos x - 1), so I looked at the denominator as a difference, (sin x + cos x) - 1, and thought multiplying by a sum, (sin x + cos x) + 1 might be useful. If that hadn't borne fruit, I would have tried a similar thing with the numerator. Of course, I can't just multiply the denominator or numerator alone, but I can always multiply by 1.

Partly it's a matter of experience, and seeing the kinds of things that worked in other problems.

8. Jul 16, 2010 #7
    Thanks a lot. I can understand now. :)

9. Jul 16, 2010 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's generally a lot easier to simplify the equation as a whole, rather than try and work with the two sides independently.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook