1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the two trig identities are equivalent

1. Jun 29, 2013 #1

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the two trig identities are equivalent.

[tex]cos \ x \ -\frac{cos \ x}{1-tan \ x} \ = \ \frac{sin \ x \ cos \ x \ }{sin \ x \ - \ cos \ x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My professor recommended that we only work with one side of the equality when we're trying to prove them equivalent, and I've mainly tried using the left side. I've tried this from several different angles, and this seems to be the most viable point I've gotten to so far.

[tex]cos \ x \ -\frac{cos \ x}{1-tan \ x} \ = \ \frac{sin \ x \ cos \ x \ }{sin \ x \ - \ cos \ x}[/tex]

Working with the left side, I multiplied the cos x by (1-tan x)\(1-tan x) to get them over a common denominator, and I get-

[tex]\frac{-cos \ x \ tan \ x}{1-tan \ x}[/tex]

Then I rationalized the denominator by multiplying top and bottom by 1+tan x...

[tex]-\frac{cos \ x \ tan \ x \ -cos \ x \ tan^2 \ x}{1-tan^2 \ x}[/tex]

Then I converted the tangent in the numerator to sine/cosine and cancelled the cosines to get--

[tex]-\frac{sin \ x \ - \ cos \ x \ tan^2 \ x}{1-tan^2 \ x}[/tex]

And at this point I've hit a brick wall. Should I try using secant and cosecant identities? Should I have started it out differently, or worked with the other side? I've tried this several different ways, and I've tried transforming the right side of the equality into the left side as well, and I can't seem to get anywhere. I also tried converting the tan^2 in the numerator into sin^2/cos^2, and cancelled the cosines to get sin^2/cos, but that didn't seem to help.

What am I doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you allowed to use $$\tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} \Rightarrow 1-\tan x = \frac{\cos x - \sin x }{\cos x} $$ ??

Focussing on the LHS seems a good idea - why not start out by putting the LHS over a common denominator more simply

$$\cos x - \frac{\cos x}{1-\tan x} = \frac{(1-\tan x )\cos x - \cos x}{1-\tan x}$$

Aside: in your ##\LaTeX##, if you put a backslash before the trig function, it will format correctly ;)

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why? You have no reason to do it.

That is a good idea. Do it with all tangents.

ehild

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

That's an identity that I've never seen before, but I don't think there's really anything we're not allowed to use. We've worked with pretty similar concepts before, so I'm going to give that a try.

And thanks for the tip about the formatting, that'll make things a bit simpler.

Alright, I'll jump back to before I rationalized the denominator, and convert all the tangents.

6. Jun 29, 2013 #5

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

[tex]\cos x-\frac{\cos x}{1-\tan x}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{(1-\tan x)\cos x-\cos x}{1-\tan x}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{(1-\frac{\sin x}{\cos x})\cos x-\cos x}{\frac{\cos x-\sin x}{\cos x}}[/tex]
    [tex][(1-\frac{\sin x}{\cos x})\cos x-\cos x] \frac{\cos x}{\cos x-\sin x}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{(1-\frac{\sin x}{\cos x})\cos^2 x-\cos^2x}{\cos x-\sin x}[/tex]

Was I correct in that step? I wouldn't have to distribute the [itex]\cos x[/itex] into the [itex](1-\frac{\sin x}{\cos x})[/itex] since it's part of the same term as the [itex]\cos x[/itex] that it's attached to, right?

Then I distributed the [itex]\cos^2 x[/itex], which cancels the cos in the denominator and drops the cos in the numerator to a first degree, and gives me both a positive and a negative [itex]\cos^2 x[/itex] in the numerator which cancel each other out

[tex]\frac{-\sin x \ \cos x}{\cos x -\sin x}[/tex]

This is incredibly close, but not quite right. Does the negative sign then distribute into the bottom, and make the whole expression positive to leave me with

[tex]\frac{\sin x \ \cos x}{\sin x-\cos x}[/tex]

or did I do something wrong somewhere?

7. Jun 29, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can get $$\tan x = \frac{\sin x}{\cos x}$$ by comparing similar right angled triangles ...
    one triangle has the hypotenuse = 1, so the adjacent side is cosine and the opposite side is sine; the other has the adjacent side = 1, so the opposite is tangent and the hypotenuse is secant. (these are the definitions of sine, cosine, tangent, and secant!)

Notice that these triangles give you the basic trig identities?
    They are all direct consequences of the definition of "angle" as lengths on the unit circle.

Anyway, you can use the identity to "do everything in tangents" as ehild suggests too.

Certainly $$\frac{-a}{b-c}=\frac{a}{c-b}$$ ... so you are there!

8. Jun 29, 2013 #7

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Awesome!! It's a good feeling when you get to the bottom of a math problem at 3 am on a Friday night!!...lol

Thanks for the help!!

9. Jun 29, 2013 #8

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

Now this doesn't seem right. If I plug in a value for x (I used x=2) I get different answers for the 2 different expressions. Did I do something wrong there?

10. Jun 29, 2013 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

-a/(b-c)=a/(c-b) for sure. You miscalculated something.

ehild

11. Jun 29, 2013 #10

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is better to eliminate the cosines at that step, after expanding.
    [tex]\frac{\cos x-\tan x \cos x-\cos x}{1-\tan x}=\frac{-\tan x \cos x}{1-\tan x}[/tex]

Replace tanx=sinx/cosx now.

ehild

12. Jun 29, 2013 #11

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I'll try to calculate it again. I must have entered something wrong on the calculator.

That does look easier if I eliminate the cosines at that earlier step, I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the help!

13. Jun 29, 2013 #12

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

x=2 radians is in the second quadrant - some calculators get funny when you leave the first quadrant.

Doing it for both 2 radians and 2 degrees...
    Code (Text):
    octave:5> s=sin(2)
    s =  0.90930
    octave:6> c=cos(2)
    c = -0.41615
    octave:7> s*c/(s-c)
    ans = -0.28549
    octave:8> -s*c/(c-s)
    ans = -0.28549

octave:9> s=sin(2*pi/180)
    s =  0.034899
    octave:10> c=cos(2*pi/180)
    c =  0.99939
    octave:11> s*c/(s-c)
    ans = -0.036162
    octave:12> -s*c/(c-s)
    ans = -0.036162

14. Jun 30, 2013 #13

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I was entering it in my calculator wrong. I didn't put the denominator in parentheses at first. After I tried it again, with the parentheses around the denominators, they came out to the same answer.

Thanks again guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted