1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help Understanding an Equality

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    I'm mostly trying to understand how the expression in brackets becomes a partial derivative.

I know I end up with 0/0 if I replace all deltaz with 0, so that leads me to belive L'hopitals rule is used here. I just don't see how I could take L hopitals when I have two variables..

Attached Files:

• hhy.JPG
      hhy.JPG
      File size:
      8.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Take the limit as Δz→0 and the LHS becomes the definition for the partial derivative.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  4. Oct 3, 2013 #3
    ? But wouldn't that give me 0/0 if I take the limit directly?

5. Oct 3, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How? Where?

I have to go ... so, notice:
    ##\Delta z## only appears on the LHS, so the limit dos not affect the RHS at all.
    It appears inside the function ##v(z,t)## in the numerator.
    How is this different from a regular derivative with only one variable?

6. Oct 3, 2013 #5
    delta z is in the numerator and in the denominator on the LHS. I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

7. Oct 3, 2013 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ahhh... I think I get where you are coming from.

The fact that delta-z appears inside a function in the numerator makes all the difference.
    remember, the limit is what happens as delta-z gets very close to zero ... not what happens when delta-z actually is equal to zero. delta-z never reaches zero.

I'm guessing you've not used this sort of expression before:
    $$\frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$

You could imagine that in the limit, f(x+h)=f(x), which makes the expression evaluate to 0/0.
    But that does not work for all possible f(x) - I only need one counter-example to show it's not always true, watch:

example: f(x)=x
    $$\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\left [ \frac{(x+h)-x}{h}\right]=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}\left[ \frac{h}{h}\right]=\lim_{h\rightarrow 0}[1]=1$$ ... see? Since all the h's cancel out, the limit evaluates into something sensible.

The trick is to do the algebra with the aim of getting the h out of the denominator. Otherwise that could be a problem.

example f(x)=x^2 ... try it.

Now back to your example - put v(z,t)=z/t in the LHS, and take the limit delta-z approaches zero.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  8. Oct 3, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Surely, if you are looking at problems like this, you have taken Calculus? The definition of the "derivative of f(x) at x= a" is
    [tex]\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+ h)- f(a)}{h}[/tex]

Obviously, if you simple "set h equal to 0" you will get the meaningless "0/0". That's the whole point of using the "limit". Taking the limit "as h goes to 0" is NOT the same as setting h= 0. You should have learned that in introductory Calculus.

9. Oct 3, 2013 #8
    I end up with

{ [ (z/t) + Δz] - (z/t) } / Δz

then

Δz / Δz

then

then taking the limit I get

Or am I supposed to do

{[(z + Δz)/t] - (z/t)} / Δz

[(z/t) + (Δz/t) -(z/t)] / Δz

(Δz/t) / Δz

1/t

How does this get me to the partial derivative with respect to z and how would I know that doing all this wouldn't give me a partial with respect to t instead?

Also, was (z/t) arbitrary? Or would something like (zt) have worked?

10. Oct 3, 2013 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You use the normal rules for substitution:

If ##v(z,t)=z/t##, then ##v(z+Δz,t) = (z+Δz)/t##

i.e every time you see a z, you replace it with z+Δz

So you have the LHS limit = 1/t - compare that with the partial derivative.
    (Do you know how to take a partial derivative?)

The partial derivative of ##v(z,t)## with respect to ##t## would be:
    $$\frac{\partial}{\partial t}v(z,t)=\lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow 0}\frac{v(z,t+\Delta t)-v(z,t)}{\Delta t}$$

In general,
    If you have a function ##f(\vec{x})## of ##N## variables ##\vec{x}=(x_1,x_2,\cdots ,x_N)##
    Then the partial derivative wrt the nth variable, where ##1\leq n \leq N##, is:
    $$\frac{\partial}{\partial x_n}f(\vec{x})=\lim_{\Delta x_n\rightarrow 0}\frac{f(\cdots, x_n+\Delta x_n,\cdots)-f(\cdots,x_n,\cdots)}{\Delta x_n}$$
    ... note: if you don't understand that notation you have a serious problem!

Do it and see :)

The definition works for any differentiable function. It would have worked for ##v(z,t)=z## or ##v(z,t)=t## ... whatever.

Do you know how to differentiate functions by rule instead of using the definition?
    i.e. can you do: $$\frac{d}{dx}(ax^2+bx+e^{cx})$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted