Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help understanding an equation

1. May 28, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Im reading an article (The meaning of einstein's equation : http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/node6a.html" [Broken] )

and cant understand the development of one of the equations, the equation is attached as an image, I cant understand the transition from the left side of the equation to the middle.
    Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Taylor's theorem.

[tex]\delta V = V \left( t + \delta t \right) - V \left( t \right) = \dot{V} \left( t \right) \delta t + \frac{1}{2!} \ddot{V} \left( t \right) \left (\delta t \right)^2 + \dots[/tex]

Neglect higher order terms, take [itex]t = 0[/itex], and use [itex]V \left( 0 \right) = 0[/itex].

4. May 28, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, that is expanding V(x) in a Taylor's series about x= t, then replacing x by [itex]t+ \delta t[/itex].

Actually, I don't believe they are taking "V(0)= 0". Since they are taking the Taylor's series about x= t, the constant term would be V(t) and they are subtracting off V(t).

[tex]V(x)= V(t)+ \dot{V}(t)(x- t)+ \frac{\ddot{V}(x- t)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]
    [tex]V(t+ \delta t)= V(t)+ \dot{V}(t)(t+ \delta t- t)+ \frac{\ddot{V}(t)}{2}(t+ \delta t- t)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
    [tex]V(t+\delta t)= V(t)+ \dot{V}(t)\delta t+ \frac{\ddot{V}(t)}{2}(\delta t)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]
    so
    [tex]V(t+ \delta t)- V(t)= \dot{V}(t)\delta t+ \frac{\ddot{V}(t)}{2}(\delta t)^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/tex]

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  5. May 28, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, I meant to write

[tex]\dot{V} \left( 0 \right) = 0.[/tex]

From the link given in the original post:

"Fill the interior of the sphere with test particles, all of which are initially at rest relative to the planet. ... Thus, after a short time [itex]\delta t[/itex] has elapsed, ..."

6. May 28, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, I see. I hadn't looked at the original attachment.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook