Questions about Einstein's 1916 GR Paper: Answers Needed

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of understanding Einstein's 1916 paper on the general theory of relativity and the search for guidance on a specific derivation in the paper. The conversation also mentions a helpful YouTube video on the subject.
darockymn
Hello everyone. I was reading Einsteins 1916 original paper on GR, the "The foundation of the general theory of relativity". There are some derivation that he did but I didn't quite understand. It would be nice if someone can give me some direction or some guidance on it.

Here is the link to the paper.
http://hermes.ffn.ub.es/luisnavarro/nuevo_maletin/Einstein_GRelativity_1916.pdf

My question originated from chapter #18, from the derivation of equation (57). He says that we can get (57) by by multiplying partial derivative ∂g^μν/∂x_σ with equation (53), but I tried and didn't quite get it. I knows that this (57) amounts to showing the left side of the multiplied (53) to be zero (or this is wrong?) but I can't get it. One idea is that it can be factorisation by product rule of derivation. By multiplying (53) by a partial derivative one get two first degree derivative in one term, and I cannot figure out how to factorise them into a degree one derivative by product rule.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is Einstein's 1916 GR Paper?

Einstein's 1916 GR Paper, also known as "The Foundation of the General Theory of Relativity," is a scientific paper published by Albert Einstein that presents his groundbreaking theory of general relativity. This theory revolutionized our understanding of gravity and the fabric of space and time.

2. What are the key concepts of Einstein's 1916 GR Paper?

The key concepts of Einstein's 1916 GR Paper include the principle of general covariance, the equivalence principle, and the curvature of spacetime. These concepts form the basis of the theory of general relativity and explain the relationship between gravity and the structure of the universe.

3. How did Einstein's 1916 GR Paper impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's 1916 GR Paper revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new and more accurate explanation of gravity. It also predicted the existence of phenomena such as gravitational waves and black holes, which have since been confirmed by scientific experiments and observations.

4. What are some criticisms of Einstein's 1916 GR Paper?

Some criticisms of Einstein's 1916 GR Paper include its complexity and the fact that it is difficult to test and verify. Some scientists also question its ability to fully explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of galaxies and the expansion of the universe.

5. How has Einstein's 1916 GR Paper influenced modern physics?

Einstein's 1916 GR Paper has had a profound influence on modern physics and continues to be a cornerstone of our understanding of the universe. Its concepts have been incorporated into other theories, such as quantum mechanics, and have led to further research and advancements in the field of physics.