Need help with a civil engineering concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum and minimum masses that an oak rod can support and the maximum mass that can be dropped without causing permanent deformation. The relevant numbers to consider are the stiffness, yield tensile strength, and ultimate tensile strength. However, the specific formula to use depends on various factors such as the orientation and fixing of the rod, and the placement of the mass.
The-UnKnown82
I can not find a formula to calculate the following question, any help would be appreciated, ty AlephZero for helping me clarify my question.

An example in my problem set (homework help)

An oak rod is hung from a rigid support. The rod has a diameter = 13 mm, length = 7 m, and a catch plate at its base.

a) The maximum mass of a weight that each rod can support.
b) The minimum mass of a weight that will break the rod when dropped from the top of the rod.
c) The maximum mass of weight that when dropped from the top of the rod will not result in permanent deformation of the rod.

Numbers I think can be used:
E (stiffness) = 14000 MPa
Yield Tensile strength = 75 MPa
Ultimate tensile strength = 90 MPa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"weight" is the force that gravity produces when it acts on "mass". A mass of 1 kg has a weight of about 9.8 N, near to the Earth's surface.

The answer to your question depends on several things you didn't tell us, like whether the rod is horizontal or vertical, how the rod is fixed, and where the mass is placed on the rod. Nobody can guess "which formula to use" without all the relevant facts.

1. What is civil engineering?

Civil engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and maintenance of the physical and naturally built environment. This includes infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, dams, and water supply systems.

2. What are some common civil engineering concepts?

Some common civil engineering concepts include structural analysis, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, and construction management. These concepts are used to plan, design, and oversee the construction of various structures and systems.

3. How can I improve my understanding of civil engineering concepts?

To improve your understanding of civil engineering concepts, it is important to study relevant math and science subjects, such as calculus, physics, and mechanics. Additionally, hands-on experience through internships or projects can also help improve your understanding.

4. What skills are important for a civil engineer?

Some important skills for a civil engineer include problem-solving, critical thinking, attention to detail, and strong communication skills. They also need to have a strong understanding of math and science, as well as technical skills in various software and tools used in the field.

5. Can you give an example of a civil engineering concept in action?

One example of a civil engineering concept in action is the design and construction of a bridge. Civil engineers use their knowledge of structural analysis and geotechnical engineering to design a safe and efficient bridge. They also work with construction managers to oversee the building process and ensure it meets all necessary standards and regulations.