1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with a civil engineering concept

1. Sep 29, 2013 #1
    I can not find a formula to calculate the following question, any help would be appreciated, ty AlephZero for helping me clarify my question.

An example in my problem set (homework help)

An oak rod is hung from a rigid support. The rod has a diameter = 13 mm, length = 7 m, and a catch plate at its base.

a) The maximum mass of a weight that each rod can support.
    b) The minimum mass of a weight that will break the rod when dropped from the top of the rod.
    c) The maximum mass of weight that when dropped from the top of the rod will not result in permanent deformation of the rod.

Numbers I think can be used:
    E (stiffness) = 14000 MPa
    Yield Tensile strength = 75 MPa
    Ultimate tensile strength = 90 MPa

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2013 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"weight" is the force that gravity produces when it acts on "mass". A mass of 1 kg has a weight of about 9.8 N, near to the earth's surface.

The answer to your question depends on several things you didn't tell us, like whether the rod is horizontal or vertical, how the rod is fixed, and where the mass is placed on the rod. Nobody can guess "which formula to use" without all the relevant facts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted