1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help With Geometry Problem (Circles)

1. Apr 18, 2007 #1
    In the diagram below:
    AB is the diameter of the semicircle with center O. Circles P and Q are tangent to each other and to the semicircle. If OB=4, find the radius of circle Q.

I haven't been able to make any headway at all with this problem. I tried to find a system of equations with the radius of circle Q equal to x and some other length equal to y, but all I found was that the length of the common external tangent of circles P and Q is [tex] 2 \sqrt{2x} [/tex], where x is the radius of circle Q, and I'm not sure how that's useful. Please help.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let the origin be (0,0) in a cartesian coordinate system. The point P is then (0,2). Let the point Q be at position (x,y).

To define the position of a circle needs three equations. (There are 3 degrees of freedom, the position (x,y) of the center, and the radius.)

The radius of Q is y, this is one restriction.

The circle Q and P are tangent. This means that the distance from P to Q is equal to the sum of their radii.

The third restriction on the circle centered at Q is that it be tangent to the circle centered at O. This will be a quadratic equation in x and y.
  4. Apr 18, 2007 #3
    I'd already figured out the first two restrictions, and I understood that the third restriction would have to do with circle Q being tangent to the semicircle, but I have no idea how to derive an equation from that.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. Thank you.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?