Need Help With Geometry Problem (Circles)

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of circle Q, which is tangent to circle P and the semicircle with center O. Using a cartesian coordinate system and three equations, the position and radius of circle Q can be determined. The third equation involves the tangency of circle Q to the semicircle and can be derived from the previous two equations.
Izzhov
In the diagram below:
math.JPG

AB is the diameter of the semicircle with center O. Circles P and Q are tangent to each other and to the semicircle. If OB=4, find the radius of circle Q.

I haven't been able to make any headway at all with this problem. I tried to find a system of equations with the radius of circle Q equal to x and some other length equal to y, but all I found was that the length of the common external tangent of circles P and Q is [tex] 2 \sqrt{2x} [/tex], where x is the radius of circle Q, and I'm not sure how that's useful. Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let the origin be (0,0) in a cartesian coordinate system. The point P is then (0,2). Let the point Q be at position (x,y).

To define the position of a circle needs three equations. (There are 3 degrees of freedom, the position (x,y) of the center, and the radius.)

The radius of Q is y, this is one restriction.

The circle Q and P are tangent. This means that the distance from P to Q is equal to the sum of their radii.

The third restriction on the circle centered at Q is that it be tangent to the circle centered at O. This will be a quadratic equation in x and y.

CarlB said:
Let the origin be (0,0) in a cartesian coordinate system. The point P is then (0,2). Let the point Q be at position (x,y).

To define the position of a circle needs three equations. (There are 3 degrees of freedom, the position (x,y) of the center, and the radius.)

The radius of Q is y, this is one restriction.

The circle Q and P are tangent. This means that the distance from P to Q is equal to the sum of their radii.

The third restriction on the circle centered at Q is that it be tangent to the circle centered at O. This will be a quadratic equation in x and y.

I'd already figured out the first two restrictions, and I understood that the third restriction would have to do with circle Q being tangent to the semicircle, but I have no idea how to derive an equation from that.

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. Thank you.

Last edited:

1. What is a circle?

A circle is a perfectly round shape that is defined by a set of points that are all equidistant from a central point. It is a two-dimensional shape and is often represented by the symbol "O".

2. How do I find the area of a circle?

To find the area of a circle, you can use the formula A= πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the circle. Alternatively, you can also use the formula A= πd²/4, where d is the diameter of the circle.

3. How do I find the circumference of a circle?

The circumference of a circle can be found using the formula C=2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius of the circle. You can also use the formula C=πd, where d is the diameter of the circle.

4. How do I find the radius of a circle?

The radius of a circle can be found by dividing the diameter of the circle by 2. You can also use the formula r=√(A/π), where r is the radius and A is the area of the circle.

5. Can you help me with a specific circle geometry problem?

Yes, as a scientist, I have a strong understanding of geometry and can assist you with any circle geometry problem you may have. Please provide the specific problem and I will do my best to help you find the solution.