1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with hw problem (torque question)

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1
    The question is:

A solid disk with m=60.0kg and a diameter of 48.0cm is to be turned from rest through 12.0 revolutions in 6.00s. Calculate the torque required to accomplish this.

What ive got is this:

Tau=I*al(angular acceleration)

I=.5*m*r^2 .5*60.0kg*.240m^2=1.728kg*m^2

Al = om/t (convert to om and then to al)12revs/6sec=2.00revs/sec = 12.56rads/s / 6

sec = 2.09 rads/s^2=al

1.728kg*m^2 * 2.09rads/s^2= 3.61N*m ...is this right?

This is an online physics course and I am getting a little lost at this point. The course notes are vague at best and I am just not sure if i have the irght answers or not.
    ANy help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a disk has a constant angular acceleration, a rad/s2, then in t seconds, it will have reached angular speed at rad/s and will have moved (1/2)at2 rad or (1/2)[\pi]at2 revolutions. Another way of looking at that is that if it has constant acceleration, a, it will have average speed (1/2)at over time t. Moving through 12.0 revolutions in 6 seconds means it had an angular acceleration of 12/72= 1/6 rev/s2= [itex]\pi[/itex]/6= 0.523 rad/sec2, not 2.09.

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3
    still confused

I am sorry.
    One of the problems is that this proffesor, while a good and helpful person, has used his own characters for the variables..ie "om" instead of w for omega, and "al" for angular acceleration. While i know he thinks hes helping, it is causing me great problems when i refer to the text or get help from others, I am getting "lost in translation" because I dont understand the language. I am very frustrated because i know this is simple.

Is "at" angular acceleration?

I dont see how to get the acceleration from the given info.

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4
    anyone?

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    It is unfortunate that your professor does that. I would suggest buying a used textbook and create a key or something so you can translate. Anyway, you are looking for angular acceleration. Heres the equation in the proper language:

a(avg)=w2-w1/t2-t1 rad/s^2

average angular acceleration = change in angular speed divided by change in time
    Units: radians per second squared

Once you find this, you can easily derive the torque. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?