Need help with latent heat involving ice and steam

In summary, the problem involves calculating the final equilibrium temperature and the remaining mass of ice in a well-insulated bucket containing 177 g of ice at 0°C and 20 g of steam at 100°C. Using the equations Q = mc(deltaT) and m = Q/Lf, the heat necessary to cool the steam from 100°C to 0°C is calculated to be 4.04 kJ. However, this is incorrect as the phase change for water involves three separate constants.
lilmul123

Homework Statement

A well-insulated bucket of negligible heat capacity contains 177 g of ice at 0°C.

(a) If 20 g of steam at 100°C is injected into the bucket, what is the final equilibrium temperature of the system? I've already solved this part to be 0 degrees Celsius.

(b) What mass of ice remains?

Homework Equations

Q = mc(deltaT)

m = Q/Lf

The Attempt at a Solution

From the example in the textbook, it seems I only have to find the heat necessary to cool the steam from 100 degrees to 0 degrees, and then divide this number by the latent heat of ice (333.5 kJ/kg). 2.02 is the specific heat of steam. So, I did (.02)(2.02)(100). This gave me a heat of 4.04 kJ. I then divided this number by the latent heat of ice, 333.5, and came out with an answer of .01211 kg. I converted this to g (12.11 g), and subtract this from 177. My final answer was 164.886457 g, but this is incorrect. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does nobody know?

Phase change for water is different going from steam to liquid and then to water:

Total energy change= that going from steam to water-that going to from 100 to zero degrees-and then that from going liquid to freezing.

There are three separate constants at work.

1. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the energy that is required to change the state of a substance without changing its temperature. It is the heat energy that is absorbed or released during a phase change, such as melting or vaporization.

2. How does latent heat relate to ice and steam?

Latent heat is particularly important when discussing the phase changes of water, such as the transition from ice to water (melting) or from water to steam (vaporization). These phase changes require the absorption or release of latent heat.

3. What is the specific latent heat of fusion and vaporization?

The specific latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat energy required to melt one kilogram of a substance at its melting point, and the specific latent heat of vaporization is the amount of heat energy required to vaporize one kilogram of a substance at its boiling point.

4. How is latent heat involved in the water cycle?

The water cycle involves the continuous exchange of water between the Earth's surface and the atmosphere. This process includes the evaporation of liquid water into water vapor, which requires the absorption of latent heat, and the condensation of water vapor into liquid water, which releases latent heat.

5. How do you calculate the amount of latent heat involved in a phase change?

The amount of latent heat involved in a phase change can be calculated using the equation Q = mL, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, and L is the specific latent heat for the particular phase change. This equation can be used to calculate either the amount of heat absorbed or released during a phase change.