1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with latent heat involving ice and steam

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A well-insulated bucket of negligible heat capacity contains 177 g of ice at 0°C.

(a) If 20 g of steam at 100°C is injected into the bucket, what is the final equilibrium temperature of the system? I've already solved this part to be 0 degrees Celsius.

(b) What mass of ice remains?

2. Relevant equations

Q = mc(deltaT)

m = Q/Lf

3. The attempt at a solution

From the example in the textbook, it seems I only have to find the heat necessary to cool the steam from 100 degrees to 0 degrees, and then divide this number by the latent heat of ice (333.5 kJ/kg). 2.02 is the specific heat of steam. So, I did (.02)(2.02)(100). This gave me a heat of 4.04 kJ. I then divided this number by the latent heat of ice, 333.5, and came out with an answer of .01211 kg. I converted this to g (12.11 g), and subtract this from 177. My final answer was 164.886457 g, but this is incorrect. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    Does nobody know?

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    Phase change for water is different going from steam to liquid and then to water:

Total energy change= that going from steam to water-that going to from 100 to zero degrees-and then that from going liquid to freezing.

There are three seperate constants at work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook