Need help with my course on memory mapping and stuff

In summary, the conversation discusses a beginner's course in computer organization, specifically focusing on types of memories and memory hierarchy. The person is struggling with understanding memory mapping and how data is read and written on different types of memory. They ask for a tutorial starting from a basic level, preferably not a reference book as they have lost their library card. The responder suggests using Google to search for terms like "associative memory" and provides a link to a Wikipedia page. They also explain that cache memory is a copy of main memory, controlled by the hardware designer.
shaan_aragorn
I have got a begginner's course in computer organisation this semester. The course consists of the basic stuff like types of memories and memory hierarchy with the detailed description of each etc etc.
Now, what i really don't get is memmory mapping and how exactly data is read and written on main memory, cache memory or may be associative memory.
Is there any tutorial available on the internet that can describe all this in detail but which starts from a basic level?
Please don't suggest any reference book, i have lost my library card :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
Try typing terns like associative memory into Google.

Memory mapping refers to a number of things.
For a start you can try here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_mapping

Cache memory is a copy of main memory. Usually this is controlled by the hardware designer.

Hi there,

I understand that you are struggling with your course on memory mapping and related topics in your computer organization class. It can definitely be a challenging subject, but with the right resources and approach, you can definitely improve your understanding.

Firstly, have you tried reaching out to your professor or classmates for help? They may have some helpful resources or tips for you. Additionally, you can try searching for online forums or study groups dedicated to computer organization or memory mapping. Often, these communities have members who are willing to share their knowledge and help others.

In terms of online tutorials, there are plenty available that cover memory mapping and related concepts. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and Udemy. These platforms offer a wide range of courses and tutorials on computer organization and memory mapping, starting from the basics. You can also find many helpful videos on YouTube that explain these concepts in an easy-to-understand manner.

Finally, don't forget about your university's resources. Many universities have online databases and resources that students can access remotely, even without a library card. You can also check if your university has any online tutoring services for this subject.

I hope these suggestions help you in your studies. Remember to stay persistent and keep practicing, and you will eventually grasp these concepts. Best of luck!

What is memory mapping?

Memory mapping is a process of allocating a section of a computer's memory to be used for data storage. This allows the operating system to access and manipulate data quickly and efficiently.

Why is memory mapping important?

Memory mapping is important because it helps optimize the use of computer memory, making it more efficient and faster. It also allows for easy access and manipulation of data, which is essential in various computer operations.

How does memory mapping work?

Memory mapping works by assigning a virtual address to a physical memory location. This allows for the computer's memory management unit to easily access and manipulate data at the virtual address without needing to know the physical location.

What are the different types of memory mapping?

There are three main types of memory mapping: file mapping, memory-mapped I/O, and kernel memory mapping. File mapping involves mapping a file or portion of a file into memory for easy access. Memory-mapped I/O maps a device's memory into the process's address space. Kernel memory mapping is used by the operating system to map its own memory.

How is memory mapping used in programming?

In programming, memory mapping is used to allocate memory for storing data, loading libraries and files, and accessing hardware devices. It is also used for creating shared memory between processes and for implementing virtual memory.