1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with Star Polaris (altitude and Azimuth)

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The star that I am looking for is Polaris. I Need to know the azimuth and altitude of the star polaris for a 2 hour period checking it ever fifteen minutes. I am in Middle Tennesse. Tonight (09/6/08) I come up with an azimuth of 20 degrees and the altitude was 77-78 Degrees. Can someone tell me if this sounds right. Also what is the reason the star did not change? And if I was to look at the same star tomorrow night at the same time would its position be different or the same and why?......and the same goes for if a month from now would it be the same or different and why?......this would really help me....I will take anything i can get!

Confused_Star

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The stars appear to move in circles because, of course, the earth turns! As the earth turns the stars appear to rotate in circles whose center is the line through the earth's axis. Polaris happens to be very close to that line. It is not exactly on that line but it is very close to it. Thus, while it does move, it moves in very small circles. Its position does not change much.

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I hoped OP will find it out by himself...

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Polaris will be straight up at zenith if you were at the north pole (90o altitude) and at 0o altitude at the eqator. How far up will it be at your latitude? (check a map)

Another name for Polaris is the North Star. What azimuth value would you expect from something due north?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?