1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help Star Polaris (azimuth and altitude)

1. Sep 6, 2008 #1
    The star that I am looking for is Polaris. I Need to know the azimuth and altitude of the star polaris for a 2 hour period checking it ever fifteen minutes. I am in Middle Tennesse. Tonight (09/6/08) I come up with an azimuth of 20 degrees and the altitude was 77-78 Degrees. Can someone tell me if this sounds right. Also what is the reason the star did not change? And if I was to look at the same star tomorrow night at the same time would its position be different or the same and why?......and the same goes for if a month from now would it be the same or different and why?......this would really help me....I will take anything i can get!

Confused_Star

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Confused_Star :confused: ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

hmm … in Tennessee, the altitude of Polaris (in the little bear) should be less than 40º …

you got the wrong star!! :redface:

Have another go tonight! :smile:

4. Sep 7, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And the azimuth should be 0. It's Polaris - the north star. By definition, it is always in the same place (plus or minus a half degree).

5. Sep 7, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?