1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need Help with Thermo Energy Transfer problem

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    A 0.2-m-thick plane wall is constructed of concrete. At steady state the energy transfer rate by conduction through a 1-m^2 area of the wall is 0.15 kW. If the temperature distibution is linear through the wall, what is the temperature difference across the wall, in K?

i dont even know where to start, anything will help...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    I have been doing some work on this.. and i have came up with an answer, im pretty sure its not right though..

Using Fourier's law:

Qx= -kA[T2-T1/L]

we know that the Qx is .15kW per 1 m^2, and the thickness of the concrete plane is .2 m

If .15kW of energy enter 1.0 m^2, then only .03 kW enter the area of .2 m??

right now i have .03kW= -k(T2-T1/ .2m)

im stuck..

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3
    Why is this? I don't think you understand the concept of "heat flux" which you represent as Qx. Heat flux is the rate of heat transferred given an area. In math form thats

q" = [tex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/tex] = Qx

So if you have 0.15kw of energy being transferred over 1m^2 of area, what is your heat flux going to be?

You are also going to need to look up the transfer coefficient (k) for concrete. I imagine this is in your book somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?