Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Need help with typing equations into MS Word!

1. Sep 18, 2006 #1
    I am not sure if I have posted this in the right thread, feel free to move it to appropriate spot.

But here is the question:

I need to hand in a physics project that needs a good amount of equations stuffed into it. Now I have to options. Write them or type them. Writing will ruin the whole thing (not mentioning it's not permitted in a formal project) and typing equations and expressions with MS Word is a PAIN!

Does any of you guys out there have a fast, free, and easy-to-use software that you are using since most of you deal with this sort of stuff?!

I googled this for an hour and the best solution was Rapid-Pi...a VERY nifty software that has a trial period of 60 days :frown:

Also I like this LaTeX thing in here...but I can't find an "offline" version of it...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2006 #2

danago

Gold Member

4. Sep 18, 2006 #3
    But isn't that another trial?!

5. Sep 18, 2006 #4

danago

Gold Member

Texaide is a free version. That site also has mathType, which is more powerful, but not free.

6. Sep 18, 2006 #5
    Use the in-built equation editor for MS Word, it served me well enough.

To access it:

Insert > Object...

Select> Microsoft Equation 3.0

You can set up a shortcut for this in the customisation menu of Word so its easier in future.

You can do most things with it, hope its enough :)

7. Sep 18, 2006 #6
    Well what do you know!

I read the fine print for mathtype:

Sweet!

Also I checked out the Equation Editor...cool!

thanks guys I knew I would get something from you guys!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook