1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help with upper limit of sequence.

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that,
    [tex]s^{*} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \sup_{k \geq n} s_k[/tex]
    Assume that [itex]s^{*}[/itex] is finite.

2. Relevant equations
    Definition of [itex]s^{*}[/itex] is here: http://i.imgur.com/AWfOW.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I started out writing what I know.
    By assuming [itex]s^{*}[/itex] is finite, then [itex]\{s_k\}[/itex] is bounded above so a supremum exists.
    I'm unclear what exactly [tex]\sup_{k \geq n} s_k[/tex] means. Fixing n and finding supremum of {s_k} for k >= n and then letting n -> oo? I would think if there is an upper limit for {s_k} and for all n < k, as n ->oo then {s_n} will converge to that upper limit. And I have a feeling the Theorem 3.17 in the image might be applicable to this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2
    Any hints?

4. Nov 10, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

[itex]\displaystyle\sup_{k ≥ n} s_k[/itex] means that you want to take the supremum of the set sk generated by all numbers which are greater than or equal to your n.

5. Nov 10, 2012 #4
    Ok that makes sense. Then from there I could say:

Let [itex]E = \{s_k\} ^{\infty}_{k=n}[/itex]. Since [itex]s^*[/itex] is finite, then [itex]E[/itex] is bounded from above, [itex]E \subset \{s_k\}[/itex] and [itex]E[/itex] is not empty, then a supremum exists in [itex]E[/itex]. And then taking limit as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex], [itex]E[/itex] would consist of only sup[itex]E[/itex] which is exactly [itex]s^*[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook