1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need helping evaluating this limit by expressing it as a definite integral

1. Dec 1, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the limit by expressing it as a definite [STRIKE]interval[/STRIKE] integral

[itex]\frac{lim}{n \rightarrow \infty}[/itex] ([itex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n+2}[/itex]+...+[itex]\frac{1}{n+(n-1)}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{n+n}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so I know it has to do with Rieman sums. So I know I have to express it as

lim n->∞ [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex][itex]_{i=1}[/itex]f(x[itex]_{i*}[/itex])Δx

So I was able to change the original question into the following form:

lim n->∞ [itex]\sum[/itex][itex]^{n}[/itex][itex]_{i=1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{n+i}[/itex]

But I cannot find something that I can take out of that as Δx, nor can I find a way to find a or b to plug into the formula Δx=[itex]\frac{b-a}{n}[/itex]. Also, for the same reason, I cannot find f(x[itex]_{i}[/itex]*) or x[itex]_{i}[/itex]*. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Maybe write

[tex]\frac{1}{n+i}=\frac{1}{n}\frac{1}{1+\frac{i}{n}}[/tex]

4. Dec 1, 2011 #3
    Thanks! I got it! Your response in combination with all the help you gave me yesterday definitely helped me understand Rieman sums!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook