Need info on rules for applying derivatives in QM equations

In summary, this author provides examples of derivative applications that make no sense, and provides no reasoning for why the applications were made. The author also provides a suggestion on how to avoid falling into traps and be more efficient when applying derivatives in QM.
buffordboy23
This is not a homework problem, but advice on the presented examples would be helpful anyways.

Does anyone know of a good QM textbook or website that discusses the rules for applying derivatives in QM? In reviewing many of the derivations, I find many weird applications with no reasoning from the author. Here are two examples:

In trying to derive

[tex]\left\langle v \right\rangle = \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt}[/tex]

we see that

[tex]\frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx [/tex]

yet we can't pull the partial derivative over onto x--this is because the wave function may evolve over time and therefore change the expectation value (?).

In another example, in trying to derive

[tex]\left\langle p \right\rangle = m \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} [/tex]

we eventually see that

[tex] m \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \frac{i\hbar}{2}\int\left[ \Psi^{*}x\frac{\partial^{2}\Psi}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\Psi^{*}}{\partial x^{2}}x\Psi\right] dx = \frac{i\hbar}{2}\int\left[ \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial^{2}(x\Psi)}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\Psi^{*}}{\partial x^{2}}(x\Psi)\right] dx - i\hbar \int \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi dx[/tex]

where the x is thrown into the partial derivative. I can't explain this one and the author offers no indication for his reasoning. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
buffordboy23 said:
This is not a homework problem, but advice on the presented examples would be helpful anyways.

Does anyone know of a good QM textbook or website that discusses the rules for applying derivatives in QM? In reviewing many of the derivations, I find many weird applications with no reasoning from the author. Here are two examples:

In trying to derive

[tex]\left\langle v \right\rangle = \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt}[/tex]

we see that

[tex]\frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx [/tex]

yet we can't pull the partial derivative over onto x--this is because the wave function may evolve over time and therefore change the expectation value (?).
I am not sure I understand your comment. The above equality is correct because x does not depend on time so you can pass it throught the derivative with respect to time.
In another example, in trying to derive

[tex]\left\langle p \right\rangle = m \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} [/tex]

we eventually see that

[tex] m \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \frac{i\hbar}{2}\int\left[ \Psi^{*}x\frac{\partial^{2}\Psi}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\Psi^{*}}{\partial x^{2}}x\Psi\right] dx = \frac{i\hbar}{2}\int\left[ \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial^{2}(x\Psi)}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\Psi^{*}}{\partial x^{2}}(x\Psi)\right] dx - i\hbar \int \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi dx[/tex]

where the x is thrown into the partial derivative. I can't explain this one and the author offers no indication for his reasoning. Thanks.

See my comment above

nrqed said:
I am not sure I understand your comment. The above equality is correct because x does not depend on time so you can pass it throught the derivative with respect to time.

I know it is right, but suppose I said

[tex] \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx[/tex]

Since [tex]\partial x/\partial t = 0[/tex], then

[tex]\frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

which is wrong because it neglects the evolution of the wave-function with time. Basically, I don't want to fall into such traps.

nrqed said:
See my comment above

So for the second example, it sounds like you are saying that x does not depend on the position in space? Therefore, x is a constant and is treated as such when thrown into the partial derivative:

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}(x\Psi)}{\partial x^{2}}=x\frac{\partial^{2}\Psi}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

This doesn't make sense to me because of the extra integral. Do you have any recommendations on what I can do to obtain better clarity in applying these strange techniques? I would likely never thought of it unless I saw it somewhere else first. How has your experience been in deriving equations in QM? It seems like a lot of trial and error in my efforts so far--there are many directions in which to manipulate some equation but the direction is not always clear, so I choose one direction and keep chugging away until a page later I see that the road is blocked, and I must try a new direction...time is wasted and I want to be more efficient. =(

1. What are the basic rules for applying derivatives in QM equations?

The basic rules for applying derivatives in QM equations include the product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and power rule. These rules are used to find the rate of change or slope of a function, which is crucial in solving QM equations.

2. How do I use the product rule in QM equations?

The product rule states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function. In QM equations, this is used to find the derivative of a function that is multiplied by another function.

3. Can I use the quotient rule in QM equations?

Yes, the quotient rule can be used in QM equations when dealing with functions that are divided by another function. The rule states that the derivative of a quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator multiplied by the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator multiplied by the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator.

4. When should I use the chain rule in QM equations?

The chain rule is used when dealing with composite functions, where one function is nested inside another. In QM equations, this is often the case when dealing with multiple variables, and the chain rule is used to find the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

5. What is the power rule and how is it used in QM equations?

The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the function raised to the power minus one, multiplied by the derivative of the function. In QM equations, this is used when dealing with functions that have exponents, such as in the Schrödinger equation.