1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need info on rules for applying derivatives in QM equations

1. Aug 4, 2008 #1
    This is not a homework problem, but advice on the presented examples would be helpful anyways.

Does anyone know of a good QM textbook or website that discusses the rules for applying derivatives in QM? In reviewing many of the derivations, I find many weird applications with no reasoning from the author. Here are two examples:

In trying to derive

[tex]\left\langle v \right\rangle = \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt}[/tex]

we see that

[tex]\frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int x\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx [/tex]

yet we can't pull the partial derivative over onto x--this is because the wave function may evolve over time and therefore change the expectation value (?).

In another example, in trying to derive

[tex]\left\langle p \right\rangle = m \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} [/tex]

we eventually see that

[tex] m \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \frac{i\hbar}{2}\int\left[ \Psi^{*}x\frac{\partial^{2}\Psi}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\Psi^{*}}{\partial x^{2}}x\Psi\right] dx = \frac{i\hbar}{2}\int\left[ \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial^{2}(x\Psi)}{\partial x^{2}} - \frac{\partial^{2}\Psi^{*}}{\partial x^{2}}(x\Psi)\right] dx - i\hbar \int \Psi^{*}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\Psi dx[/tex]

where the x is thrown into the partial derivative. I can't explain this one and the author offers no indication for his reasoning. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2008 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure I understand your comment. The above equality is correct because x does not depend on time so you can pass it throught the derivative with respect to time.
    See my comment above

4. Aug 4, 2008 #3

I know it is right, but suppose I said

[tex] \frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = \int \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}\left|\Psi\right|^{2}dx[/tex]

Since [tex]\partial x/\partial t = 0[/tex], then

[tex]\frac{d \left\langle x \right\rangle}{dt} = 0 [/tex]

which is wrong because it neglects the evolution of the wave-function with time. Basically, I don't want to fall into such traps.

So for the second example, it sounds like you are saying that x does not depend on the position in space? Therefore, x is a constant and is treated as such when thrown into the partial derivative:

[tex]\frac{\partial^{2}(x\Psi)}{\partial x^{2}}=x\frac{\partial^{2}\Psi}{\partial x^{2}}[/tex]

This doesn't make sense to me because of the extra integral. Do you have any recommendations on what I can do to obtain better clarity in applying these strange techniques? I would likely never thought of it unless I saw it somewhere else first. How has your experience been in deriving equations in QM? It seems like a lot of trial and error in my efforts so far--there are many directions in which to manipulate some equation but the direction is not always clear, so I choose one direction and keep chugging away until a page later I see that the road is blocked, and I must try a new direction....time is wasted and I want to be more efficient. =(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?