Need recommendation on a good Partial differential Equation textbook.

In summary, the Partial Differential Equation, An Introduction by Walter A. Strauss is a good book for self-study, while the book by Lawrence C. Evans is not.
yungman
I want to buy another Partial differential equation and Boundary value problems textbook.

The ones I have are:

1) Partial Differential Equation, An Introduction by Walter A. Strauss.
2) Partial differential equation and Boundary value problems by Nakhle Asmar.
3) Differential Equation with Boundary Value Problems by Dennis G. Zill and Michael R. Cullen.
4) Boundary value problems and Partial differential equations by David L. Powers.
5) Elementary Differential Equation and Boundary Value Problems by William E. Boyce and Richard C. Diprima.

Each book really have different presentation. Since I study on my own, I have to look at different point of views. I like 2) and 3) the best. The others are not very good.

Thanks

Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
One I found to be a good introduction is Partial Differential Equations by Farlow. It is a book more oriented to applications than the mathematics, but still contains good mathematics. It is nicely divided up into small lessons.

The book by Lawrence C. Evans and the one by Fritz John.

quasar987 said:
The book by Lawrence C. Evans and the one by Fritz John.

I do not recommend the book by Evans, especially as an introduction. It's the supplementary book in a course I'm in right now, and it is of little help. There is practically no discussion, he leaves it to the reader to fill in way too many details so that there is little gained in using the book for self-study, and his notation is non-standard.

Last edited:
Thanks guys
I am looking for one with detail on the how they arrive with formulas. A lot of book only give you the formulas. It is easy to plug numbers into the formulas but you don't learn much. I like to see how people arrive with the formulas. I really don't need books to explain the concept, just need the step by step how they get the formulas.

thanks
Alan

1. What are some good Partial Differential Equation textbooks for beginners?

Some popular textbooks for beginners include "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss, "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Lawrence C. Evans, and "Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems" by Nakhle H. Asmar.

2. Are there any online resources for learning about Partial Differential Equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about Partial Differential Equations. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

3. What is the best way to approach studying Partial Differential Equations?

The best way to approach studying Partial Differential Equations is to first have a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. Then, it is important to understand the underlying concepts and techniques before attempting to solve problems.

4. Are there any recommended supplemental materials to use alongside a textbook?

Yes, there are many supplementary materials that can be helpful when studying Partial Differential Equations. Some examples include online videos, practice problems, and study guides.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in Partial Differential Equations?

The best way to improve problem-solving skills in Partial Differential Equations is to practice solving a variety of problems and to seek help from resources such as a tutor or online forums when encountering difficulties. Additionally, understanding the theory and concepts behind the problems can also aid in solving them effectively.