Need Some Help Calculating Energy Transfer During Impact

In summary, the individual is seeking information on how to calculate the amount of energy absorbed by a shock absorbing material before it hits a vulnerable object. They have provided technical properties and a rudimentary sketch, but are unsure of how to determine the transfer of energy from the incoming object to the fragile object. The individual has also mentioned the use of glue to connect the shock absorbing material and the object. It is suggested to conduct experiments and research different models to account for all factors. Relevant resources on the physics of shock absorbing materials are provided.
WakaShocka
Hi PhysicsForums, first post!

So I was wondering how much energy would be absorbed by a shock absorbing material before it hit a vulnerable object. I've made a rudimentary sketch in paint to illustrate the situation.

I've calculated the Kinetic energy of the incoming object (let's call it X) and I want to know how much of that would go through to the fragile object (Let's call it Y). I know all the technical properties (tensile strength, thickness, density, all that good stuff) of the absorbing material and I've calculated the dynamic deflection/deformation that it would undergo when hit by X kinetic energy, but I'm just not sure how I would go about finding how much of that X kinetic energy would be absorbed by Y.

Any relevant formulas and methods would be greatly appreciated. For example, I know that thickness plays a part in how much energy is absorbed, and so does the deflection...but the formulas and how I would calculate how much of X is transferred to Y I'm clueless about.

P.S. the shock absorbing material and the object Y are connected via some sort of glue...I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• demonstration2.png
    demonstration2.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:
Likes DarkBabylon
Physics news on Phys.org
This is the sort of thing that gets figured out by experiment.
That is because IRL there are so many things that can be important that there is no way to account for them all in a model.
There are a great many models though ... have you googled for "physics of shock absorbing materials"?

https://prezi.com/_00fejfkuvx_/physics-of-shock-absorbing-materials/ [Broken]
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1062&context=engineeringmechanicsfacpub
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_(mechanics)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is energy transfer during impact?

Energy transfer during impact refers to the transfer of energy from one object to another during a collision or contact. This transfer of energy can result in changes in the motion or deformation of the objects involved.

How is energy transfer during impact calculated?

The calculation of energy transfer during impact involves using the formula: Energy transferred = 0.5 x mass x velocity squared. This formula takes into account the mass and velocity of the objects involved in the impact.

What factors affect energy transfer during impact?

The amount of energy transferred during impact is affected by several factors including the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle of impact, and the type of materials the objects are made of. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role.

Why is it important to calculate energy transfer during impact?

Calculating energy transfer during impact is important for understanding the potential effects of collisions and contacts. This information can be used in various fields such as engineering, sports, and safety to design and improve structures, equipment, and protective gear.

How can energy transfer during impact be minimized?

To minimize energy transfer during impact, measures such as increasing the distance over which the impact occurs, using materials that absorb or dissipate energy, and reducing the speed or mass of the objects involved can be taken. Additionally, safety precautions and regulations can also help reduce the impact force and minimize the risk of injury.