1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help on air pressure through a manifold and optimal leak/pressure rate

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    I have a small pump system for an aquarium, and have decided to build a small manifold. The total volume of the manifold and the tubing is 2.9828 cu inches. Here is my pump specs:

Inflation time < 8s (from 0-200 mmHg in a 100cc tank)
    Air flow > 70mL/min
    Max pressure > 360mmHg
    Leakage max 36mmHg/15sec from 300mmHg at 70cc tank
    Pump time - 7sec on / 7sec off

From the pump is a 3/16" x 12" tube (volume = .3311 cubic inches) which attaches to a small cylindrical manifold (1"x3" - volume = 2.3571 cubic inches) that has two air rails (each air rail (1/4" x 3" -volume = .2946 cubic inches). Total volume should be 2.9828 cubic inches.

I was hoping to see if someone could figure out how big of an orifice I would need on each rail for maximum pressure, within the 7 seconds on, 7 seconds off (basically optimal orifice pressure and size where manifold drops stays at a constant positive pressure at the end of the 7 second off phase wherein the 7 seconds on phase starts to pump and build pressure. Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    Anyone? Bump...

4. Sep 20, 2012 #3
    No one? Thats odd. I guess than, I will just have to experiment with different orifice sizes to get the best result, was trying to avoid this and wanted to see if a mathematical solution existed for this problem.

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook