Need some help with finding the 2nd moment of area

In summary: I have done a practical in the beam, well i got the same neutrl axis in the practical as in the theoretical but when i go and find the maximum bending stress i get 3.4*10^8 theorretically but in practical it is 81.45*10^13 for bending moment 84 Nmm. is it alright wht am i doing wrong hereIt's possible that you're trying to calculate the stress in the beam at a specific point, rather than average out the stress over the entire length of the beam. Try averaging out the stress over the entire length of the beam and see if that gives you a different result.
jsharma

hi I am having trouble with findin second moment of a T-beam.

here are the measurements of the beam:
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8648/beam6xl.jpg

I have found the neutral axic fro the beam
and tht is 11.943 mm from the bottom rectangle
for 3nd moment of area
i have separated the two rectangles and calculated for each
Ixx= (6.4*(31.7)^3)/12+6.4*31.7*(10.4)^2 for the upper rectablge
Ixx= (38.1*(6.4)^3)/12+6.4*38.1*(8.65)^2 for the bottom rectangle

Then i added both and i got 5.8*10^-8 m^4
Then i had to find out the maximum stress for maxmimum load i.e for 84 Nm
i used the formula Stree= bending moment * neutral axis maximum/ 2nd moment of area
when i calculate it i don't get the same value as done in the practical i gues there is something wrong with my calculation in Ixx so please can you tell me wht am i doing wron here

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get your same results if I ignore whatever those solid filled rectangles are supposed to represent.

thnnx well the another thing was that does the bending equation accurately predict the stress in the beam

PhanthomJay said:
I get your same results if I ignore whatever those solid filled rectangles are supposed to represent.
thnnx well the another thing was that does the bending equation accurately predict the stress in the beam

jsharma said:
It predicts the max bending stress at the outermost fibers (top) of the beam based on the moment in the beam at that point.

I have done a practical in the beam, well i got the same neutrl axis in the practical as in the theoretical but when i go and find the maximum bending stress i get 3.4*10^8 theorretically but in practical it is 81.45*10^13 for bending moment 84 Nmm. is it alright wht am i doing wrong here

jsharma said:
I have done a practical in the beam, well i got the same neutrl axis in the practical as in the theoretical but when i go and find the maximum bending stress i get 3.4*10^8 theorretically but in practical it is 81.45*10^13 for bending moment 84 Nmm. is it alright wht am i doing wrong here
Between mm and meters you've lost me with the decimal point. But perhaps your error is in the value of the max bending moment of 84n-m (or 84 n-mm). Where'd that number come from??

1. What is the 2nd moment of area?

The 2nd moment of area, also known as the moment of inertia, is a property of a cross-section that describes its resistance to bending. It is a measure of how the area is distributed around an axis and is important in structural analysis and design.

2. Why is it important to find the 2nd moment of area?

The 2nd moment of area is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the stiffness and strength of a structure. It is also used to calculate deflections and stresses in beams and other structural elements.

3. How is the 2nd moment of area calculated?

The 2nd moment of area is calculated by multiplying the area of a cross-section by the square of its distance from a given axis. The calculation is different for different shapes, but there are tables and formulas available for common shapes such as rectangles, circles, and triangles.

4. What are some applications of the 2nd moment of area?

The 2nd moment of area is used in various fields, including civil and mechanical engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures, as well as in the analysis of beams, columns, and other mechanical components.

5. Can the 2nd moment of area be negative?

No, the 2nd moment of area cannot be negative as it represents a physical property of a cross-section. It can be zero for certain symmetrical shapes, but it cannot be negative as that would indicate a negative area, which is not possible.