Calculate strain from bending moment?

In summary, the equation for calculating the bending moment from the measured strain value is M = I * εmax * E / Z.
LDC1972

Homework Statement

Simply supported beam, all values known now I believe as this is the last question on it. I have spent a long time trying to work this out:

The bending moment is to be verified using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam at the point of max bending moment.
Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment from the measured strain value.

Homework Equations

k = M/EI
ε(max) = kz,

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the position and value of the max bending moment, so I "think" this may be correct. But I've spent so long I have confused myself a lot. Please be gentle :-)

I have come up with this so far:

k = M/EI
ε(max) = kz,

and therefore ε(max)= (z) M/(EI)

I think I've typed the above equation correctly. I mean it as follows: strain(max) = z multiplied by the result of M divided by EI.

Z is the distance from the neutral layer to the outer layer in a tensile condition.
M is bending moment
EI is flexural stiffness (E is youngs and I is 2nd moment of area)
K is curvature of the beam or could be replaced with 1/R where R is the radius of curvature in radians.

Can anyone confirm the above or point me correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
LDC1972 said:

Homework Statement

Simply supported beam, all values known now I believe as this is the last question on it. I have spent a long time trying to work this out:

The bending moment is to be verified using a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam at the point of max bending moment.
Derive an equation which could be used to calculate the bending moment from the measured strain value.

Homework Equations

k = M/EI
ε(max) = kz,

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the position and value of the max bending moment, so I "think" this may be correct. But I've spent so long I have confused myself a lot. Please be gentle :-)

I have come up with this so far:

k = M/EI
ε(max) = kz,

and therefore ε(max)= (z) M/(EI)

I think I've typed the above equation correctly. I mean it as follows: strain(max) = z multiplied by the result of M divided by EI.

Z is the distance from the neutral layer to the outer layer in a tensile condition.
M is bending moment
EI is flexural stiffness (E is youngs and I is 2nd moment of area)
K is curvature of the beam or could be replaced with 1/R where R is the radius of curvature in radians.

Can anyone confirm the above or point me correctly?

Looks good.

Likes 1 person
Thank you! So much time spent and to have an expert say "looks good" makes it so rewarding!

Have clicked your thanks button ;-)

Thanks again!

how would this be re-arranged for M?

M = I * εmax * E / Z

I can confirm that your equations and approach are correct. To calculate the strain from the bending moment, you can use the formula ε = kz, where k is the curvature of the beam and z is the distance from the neutral layer to the outer layer. This equation assumes that the beam has a linear stress-strain relationship and is within the elastic limit.

To verify the bending moment, you can use a strain gauge bonded to the outer surface of the beam at the point of maximum bending moment. The strain gauge will measure the strain at that point, and using the equation above, you can calculate the bending moment.

To further verify your results, you can compare the calculated bending moment to the expected bending moment based on the known values of the beam's properties (E, I, and z). If they are within a reasonable margin of error, then your calculations are likely correct.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work!

What is the formula for calculating strain from bending moment?

The formula for calculating strain from bending moment is:

ε = (M * c) / (E * I)

Where ε is the strain, M is the bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

What is the difference between strain and bending moment?

Strain is a measure of the deformation of a material under stress, while bending moment is a measure of the force that causes a material to bend. Strain is usually expressed as a percentage or decimal, while bending moment is expressed in units of force multiplied by distance (e.g. Nm or lb-ft).

Can strain be negative?

Yes, strain can be negative. A negative strain indicates that the material has compressed or shortened in length, while a positive strain indicates that the material has extended or lengthened.

What factors affect the strain caused by a bending moment?

The strain caused by a bending moment is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the bending moment, the distance from the neutral axis, the type of material, and the material's modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia.

How is strain from bending moment measured in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, strain from bending moment is typically measured using strain gauges. These devices are attached to the material being tested and can measure the strain caused by the bending moment. The data is then typically collected and analyzed using specialized software.