1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to find 2nd moment of area

1. Mar 30, 2012 #1
    Hi all, i m new here, been given a task to find bending stress σ when force F is applied, the figure can be model as a cantilever, the support is on the left.,but i dont know how to find 2nd moment of area (I) for the figure below, pls help
    thanks in advance.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

yiikm.jpg

2. Relevant equations

σ=(M(T/2))/I

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2012 #2
    First, you need to give us a clue as to how far you can get. Second, the figure is not totally clear. On the top left figure, which is presumably a plan, where exactly is F applied? Is it a point load or a knife edge load along two edges? Thirdly, can you identify the cross-section whose second moment of area you want? Finally, what definition do you know for I?

4. Apr 1, 2012 #3
    i m not sure the load is a point load or knife edge. i assume it should be knife edge. i forgot which cross-section area i should be finding for. i know i mus use (bh^3)/12 but i dunno what is my b and what is my h.

based on the forumla σ=(M(T/2))/I, my h should be T and b should be A but the cross-section area is not uniform. i m confused now. pls point me in the right direction.. thanks

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4
    It's not your fault that it is a badly worded question. If the support is at the left end, then it looks like A is the span. At the root of the cantilever, b is the C on the drawing. Further towards the load, it is C-D. You are correct that T is the h you are looking for. Perhaps you have to look at both sections to find which stress is maximum. It would also depend on whether F was shared between the two prongs of the fork. You are correct that I = use (bh^3)/12 where b is parallel to the neutral axis in the cross section and h perpendicular to the neutral plane...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook