1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need some help with this homework -- Conducting Spheres and Charge

1. Aug 28, 2015 #1
    • Poster has been reminded by the Mentors that they need to use the HH Template and show their work
    Hi, I need some help with this homework from my Electromagnetism course. I hope this is the correct place to post this. (Please excuse any potential english mistake I made trying to translate this).

Problem 1:
    Copper (conductor) sphere of radious R with an spheric bubble inside placed at distance c from the center, with radius b. The metalic sphere has charge Q.

1.-Find the electric potential inside the bubble
    2.-Is the result modified if the bubble is not a sphere?

Problem 2:

1.-Explain what a monochromatic plane wave is, identify the dirction of propagation, the velocity of propagation, wave lenght and polarization.

2.- In the case of plane electromagnetic waves, probe E and B fields are perpendicular between each other. and perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2015 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Let's try problem #1 - what have your tried so far?

4. Aug 28, 2015 #3
    I will try to use this math symbols the best I can (first time using them on a post :) ). I might be wrong, but what I think is that I should have the charge Q distributed in both surfaces so I have the denisty of charge ρ= Q/ (4πR^2+4πb^2). Then I can use Gauss and have the electric field inside the bubble? ρ / ∈0. After that I'm completley lost.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted