Need some new ideas on resume formatting for CS

In summary, In order to apply to a Computer Science graduate program, you should include the following: GPA, Test Scores, Coursework, Scholarships/awards, references, education, and project examples.
MrAlt
Hello All!
What are some different ways that those of you with CS background have formatted your resumes?
I'm preparing for graduate school and was just trying to re-vamp my portfolio
I know that sounds like a very broad topic but I was wondering if anyone could upload some example/samples.
I'm mainly curious how to present my portfolio (MCU designs/Programs etc). I'm also struggling with how much information to contain about my internship as an Embedded/Software Engineer - I have learned so much there and I'm not sure how much information is too much
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is the link to my resume...https://github.com/VRKnight/Resume

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey MrAlt and welcome to the forums.

What kind of program are you applying for? This will have a huge impact on what you want to include in your application.

You should point out to the readers what the actual application form consists of in brief detail and the nature of the program and its focus to get more specific replies.

Thank you for the response!

I am applying to multiple Computer Science grad programs. Carnegie Mellon, Penn State, Virginia Tech, WVU, UMD, and Hopkins, (Obviously some are more feasible than others ;) )

I also just realized I forgot my GRE scores on there...this is new resume that I put together today, trying to outline my projects and work experience more

Just updated my resume - Should have all info now..I know it's not much, feel free to be ruthless HaHa

Last edited:
What kind of program though? Masters coursework? Research? If it's research, what kind of project are you working on?

Do you have a standard application form to fill to apply? If so what kinds of things are mentioned in the form? If the form asks for an external resume attachment, does it give any indicators of what it is expecting?

If it's a grad research program, please tell us the program outline in brief and what kind of things you are doing.

For these kinds of things there is a standard application process, just like applying for a job at a relatively large institution and making sure you meet all the process requirements is important and all of this is in the application document itself.

Masters coursework. I plan on applying for RA and TA positions. The applications from what I can see all ask for the following: GPA, Test Scores, Coursework, Scholarships/awards, references, education, things of that sort. Most also require a resume to be sent in as well

Your resume is a little long. You only want to include all the relevant information for the particular application.

You are applying for coursework and you plan on TA/RA applications as well.

I don't think you need to include the Conference or Resident Assistant positions as these are not really (IMO at least, but you make the final decision as you always should) relevant.

The other stuff is good: the job experience means you can hold down a job which says a lot of different things about a person (especially things you may not even have thought about or realized).

The others show a great extent of your technical interests and some real projects that you have worked on or are working on.

The education stuff means you know your topic which is useful for the admissions committee deciding whether you can finish the course (which is important) amongst other things. It also shows you have some level of standard with the material for RA/TA.

With those changes you should reduce your resume to 2 pages which is good enough: remember a resume should be short, to the point, and relevant: you are applying to do masters coursework and only the things relevant to the application need to be mentioned.

That's just my opinion, and I think you have a really good resume as well.

Thank you very much for the input, I will remove the conference assistant from the employment for sure. The only reason I leave the resident assistant information on there is that I've been told multiple times when applying at various places (all CS related) that it is something they like to see. I just worry that it is not good enough to get into some of my target schools like Carnegie, but we shall see! HaHa

Updated Resume - Please let me know what you think!

https://github.com/VRKnight/Resume

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I would add (and I don't know what the application form says) is to try and not include too much duplicate information. You have actually taken a lot out which has probably helped in that regard.

One other suggestion is that if you have to go to a face to face interview, you should probably check out the department website, it's faculty, what projects they have worked on and so on.

It sounds like though you are doing Masters Coursework so I don't think you'll be doing this, but if you do, it's definitely a good to think about the above (especially if it is a paying Masters).

chiro said:
The only thing I would add (and I don't know what the application form says) is to try and not include too much duplicate information. You have actually taken a lot out which has probably helped in that regard.

One other suggestion is that if you have to go to a face to face interview, you should probably check out the department website, it's faculty, what projects they have worked on and so on.

It sounds like though you are doing Masters Coursework so I don't think you'll be doing this, but if you do, it's definitely a good to think about the above (especially if it is a paying Masters).

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

I have already set up two visitation days, and I have a folder for each school on my computer with some examples of their research work

1. How important is the format of a resume for a CS position?

The format of a resume is crucial for any job, including a CS position. It is the first impression you make to a potential employer and can greatly impact whether you are considered for the position or not.

2. What are some key elements to include in a CS resume format?

Some key elements to include in a CS resume format are a clear and concise summary or objective, relevant technical skills and experience, academic background, projects and accomplishments, and any relevant certifications or training.

3. Is there a specific layout or design that is recommended for a CS resume?

There is no set design or layout that is recommended for a CS resume. However, it is important to keep it clean, organized, and easy to read. Using bullet points, headings, and a consistent font can help make your resume more visually appealing.

4. Should I include a portfolio or links to my projects in my resume?

Yes, including a portfolio or links to your projects is highly recommended for a CS resume. This allows potential employers to see your work and technical abilities in action.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when formatting a CS resume?

Some common mistakes to avoid when formatting a CS resume include using a generic template, not tailoring the resume to the specific job or company, and not highlighting your technical skills and achievements. It is also important to proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors.