Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need specific IR thermometer model for experimental physics lab

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    I work in a nano-optics group, and need an IR thermometer with certain specifications. Online I have only come across cooking thermometers and industrial thermometers, so I need help finding one for a physics experimental lab setup.

Specifications:
    - high accuracy, and pin-point surface temperature reading
    - close-range (must be set-up close to sample, 15-30 cm (6-12 inches))
    - compact (not too bulky)
    - USB interface to computer for real-time data gathering
    - compatible with LabView (as a VI, Virtual Instrument)
    - price range: max of $10,000.00 USD

This IR thermometer will be used to measure the temperature of a sample about 1x1 cm^2, which will be imaged by an Apertureless Near-field Scanning Optical Microscope (ANSOM), which uses a tip like an AFM (atomic force microscope). We are using a heater to heat the sample, taking resistance measurements, and then will use the IR thermometer to take the surface temperature of the material (since there is a temperature gradient between the heater surface and the top surface of the material being imaged.

If you have done anything like this before (heating and imaging a sample), please let me know. We are having difficulties with the imaging/heating as well.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is the temperature range?
    What is the material (what is the emissivity in the IR)?
    Why does it have to be non-contact (there are thermocouples that are quite small)?
    What is your desired accuracy, and how do you plan to calibrate the IR thermometer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook